• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how to get Samsung Galaxy S II Factory Rom with Root

DOS1392

Lurker
hello all,

my name is dan (also known as DOS or Sully) im in a bit of a pickle.

i want to root my galaxy S2 but i want to keep the stock rom ive got, ICS i believe. i dont know much about the rooting, as its all pretty new to me, but i would still like to root it, however i have a few questions:

will rooting cause me to loose everything on my phone: contacts/images/apps ect?

is it possible to keep my stock rom?

i saw theres a bug with rooting on my device, it sort of bricks your phone, is this reversable (fixable)?

below is the spec of my phone:

android version: 4.0.4
Model number: GT-I9100
Baseband version: I9100BULP8

Kernel version:
3.0.15-1056084
dpi@DELL131 #3
SMP PREEMPT Thu Sep 13 10:45:25 KST 2012
Build Number: IMM76D.BULPG

any help would be great, if possible please dont just redirect me to another post as they are confusing me slightly, so a (simplified, but yet still detailed (hopefully including links) tutorial would be much appreciated.

cheers.

Dan

Unfortunately you've not stated your firmware version.
do a *#1234# at the dialler and report back. This will show under PDA

To answer your questions, you can root, keep your current rom, and not lose a bean.
Rooting with known safe kernels will eliminate the possibility of the brick bug.

sorry about that:

PDA: I9100BULPG

PHONE: I9100BULP8

CSC: I9100VODLPB

Build info: Thu Sep 13 10:24:55 KST 2012

i hope that helps.

cheers.

thanks. so just to make sure, using that method i wont loose anything on my phone (as i asked before)?

also it will stay the same design as my current rom?

i am sorry lol, i just want to make sure, i dont want to loose anything and i dont know how to back everything up. how long does it take to do this root by the way?

All rooting does is to install a kernel along with a couple of root files to your device (which actually roots it) and give you a far FAR better recovery (historically called ClockWorkMod (or CWM) recovery)

You can also root your device with Siyah or Dori kernels. These are massively different from stock kernels in what they can do, but even so, your phone will not look any different. These both install CWM recovery.

PhilZ kernel is 100% stock kernel with the root stuff and his brilliant version of CWM recovery included. All Phil does to his "kernels" is to enhance the Recovery side. He keeps the kernel pure stock.

CWM recovery will allow you to perform cache/dalvik wipes, flash zips, make full backups, restore and much more.

The rooting process takes a matter of seconds in Odin. Once you have pointed it to the correct file and clicked the start button, it will be over before you know it.

so am i right by using this:

BULPG-ATL ICS 4.0.4
http://www.mediafire.com/file/yr1bpm...2.7-signed.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/file/j58jqa...TL-2.7.tar.md5

then target odin at it and boom its done?

is there anything else i need to do afterwards?

You only need the tar file to flash through ODIN and to answer your other question ODIN is the recommended way to root a phone (at least by me anyway)

As pointed out by Hawker, your phone will be no different aside from having root and a couple of new apps, SU and CWM, you can still do all the things you could before and plenty of other things if you wish

Back
Top Bottom