• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to get the NC to boot off the uSD?

Jerry-rigged

Android Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2010
Texas
Howdy gang-

I think I am missing something very basic regarding the Nook Color. I can't get it to boot off the SD. I have tried three different "Flashes",two different Nookie Froyo builds and one Clockwork Mod. In every case, I have followed the guides to the letter, and when I get done, I shut down the NC, drop in the card, Boot the NC, and it boots normal... :thinking:

Back in the PC "floppy dick" days, I remember, if you wanted to make a boot floppy, you had to do something special when you formatted the disk. (format a: /s or something to put the system files on it). Is there something similar I need to be doing with the uSD to get the NC to boot off of it?

My NC is running bone stock unrooted 1.2, my PC is XP. I have 2 different uSD cards, an unbranded 1gb, and a SanDisc class 2 16gb (have tried both), acessing the SD using a (so far) reliable "Digital Concepts" brand external card reader.

My process -

Down load zipped image file (from XDA link), unzip image on my HD. Open my image writer program (Winimage), with the "right click-> run as... -> [admin user with password]" In Winimage, I am selecting the un-ziped image file, Select the uSD card, and clicking "write disk", Winimage asks/warns it will reformat the drive, I click OK and it is done. (is there any other steps in this program?)

What am I missing?

In Winimage, I am selecting the un-ziped image file, Select the uSD card, and clicking "write disk", Winimage asks/warns it will reformat the drive, I click OK and it is done.

If it happens that fast when you click OK, you definitely are NOT done. Burning the image to the sd card should take at least 5 minutes and possibly 20 depending on the size of the card and the speed of your PC.

Try using Win32 image writer to create your sd card.

It looks like this:
win32-image-writer.jpg

And also should be run as administrator.

Reactions: Jerry-rigged
Upvote 0
Thanks - I'll try that set of instructions tonight, if I get a chance. However, he starts with "have a bootable cwm (3.0.2.8) sd card image." Last night, I was trying to create a bootable CWM 3.0.2.87 sc card image, using the instructions over at XDA, following the link from the Manualnooder thread. One issue I did have was step 4 -
4) Rename your copy of the new uRecImg to uImage and replace the uImage file on the SD.
Rename your copy of the new uRecRam to uRamdisk and replace the uRamdisk file on SD.

They talk about "your copy" of these files... I don't have a copy, so I left them alone... Hope this was not a problem?

Upvote 0
If it happens that fast when you click OK, you definitely are NOT done. Burning the image to the sd card should take at least 5 minutes and possibly 20 depending on the size of the card and the speed of your PC.

Try using Win32 image writer to create your sd card.

It looks like this:
win32-image-writer.jpg

And also should be run as administrator.

Thanks-

It was taking about 5-10 seconds to write the disk...

One thing I noticed in colchiro's thread, he says to "choose "Restore virtual hard disk image" from the "Disk" menu." - I was not doing that, just opening the image, choosing the drive and hitting the 'write disk' button... I'll try the "restore virtual hard disk" first, and if I still have issues, I'll get the WIN32-image writer.

Upvote 0
Thanks - I'll try that set of instructions tonight, if I get a chance. However, he starts with "have a bootable cwm (3.0.2.8) sd card image." Last night, I was trying to create a bootable CWM 3.0.2.87 sc card image, using the instructions over at XDA, following the link from the Manualnooder thread. One issue I did have was step 4 -

They talk about "your copy" of these files... I don't have a copy, so I left them alone... Hope this was not a problem?

Your copy would be what writing the image put on sd card, all you need to do is rename them as specified. That is for the actual rooting of the device though. I personally hated the 'nookie'

Upvote 0
Your copy would be what writing the image put on sd card, all you need to do is rename them as specified. That is for the actual rooting of the device though. I personally hated the 'nookie'

That was what I was expecting, but then the Image had the files named correctly... :thinking:

But anyway, Now that I have Nookie Running, I will probably wait a few weeks before rooting...

Upvote 0
Can CM7 be run off the uSD? All the guides I have see for it use CWM to load it internal...

I found some instructions over on XDA to use Root Explorer to get Ad-hoc working with NookieFroyoCustom. I'll try that first...

So far, NFC is fast and smooth, even off my slow class 2 16gb card. Speaking of which, I also still need to check/fix the partition... seems like I read the flash partions my uSd down to a 2gb, no matter the card size... Gotta get that fixed...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones