• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to hide message notification preview?

mrnickels

Lurker
Hello,

If I am on my phone (not locked) and I get a message, a drop down notification with a few words from that message will appear. I know the new update brought some changes to the ways notifications work, but I haven't been able to figure it all out completely yet. I know there used to be a way to go in through the messages settings to turn this message preview off, but I cant find it now. Can anyone help me with this?

I know there used to be a way to go in through the messages settings to turn this message preview off, but I cant find it now. Can anyone help me with this?

The notification settings on the Turbo (and Moto X) have gotten confusing, since there are two kinds of notifications, independently controlled in two places: Moto app (for the pulsing "Active Display" notifications when display is off) and Settings > Sound & Notification (for the dropdown notifications that happen when the display is on).
I think what you're looking for is Settings > Sound & Notification > App Notifications > and from there you can block any specific app's notifications or set it to "priority."

OK, so if I set it to block notifications from messages will I still get an auditory alert and or vibrate? Does blocking it only disable the drop down preview from happening?

OK, so if I set it to block notifications from messages will I still get an auditory alert and or vibrate? Does blocking it only disable the drop down preview from happening?

I'm not sure about the interaction between the three places in which notifications can be adjusted:
  1. The Sound & Notification settting mentioned earlier.
  2. The Apps settings, in which there's a checkbox for notifications.
  3. Any in-app settings for notification sounds, vibrate, etc.
If nobody else has more clarity on this, you'll have to do some testing. :-(

[And on a side note: the fact that there is no Android documentation source that answers this sort of question drives me nuts. It's like learning to drive by turning and pressing things in a car until the right thing happens. ...]

Back
Top Bottom