• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to install apps to my SD card instead of system memory? (2 part question)

GAMESHARQ

Android Enthusiast
Can anyone tell me how to install apps to my SD card instead of to the system memory?

Also, is there a way to transfer apps from my system memory to my SD card?

Some apps are smart enough such that when they are downloaded, they move themselves to the SD Card.

Otherwise to manually do what you want
Menu | Settings | Applications | Manage applications | (select the app from the list)

You'll have buttons to do what you want. If the buttons are greyed out, that means you can't move them in that particular direction.

Is there a particular reason why some can't be moved to an SD card?

Theoretically, probably not. In practice, some apps load VERY slowly from SD. Fancy Widget is an example. Fortunately, it only needs to load when you power down and then restart the phone. I'd say generally that many other apps on SD don't load as quickly as they did from memory, and it may be that the developers would rather they stay in memory to avoid complaints.

FWIW, some apps may not play nicely when they're on SD. Kindle is one that I would prefer to have on SD, but just flat out didn't work from there. That may have been fixed in the last few months.

Glad you got several programs set up. Keep up with the management so that you can keep the phone's internal storage as freed up as possible, because it's finite.

BTW, I don't think the programs that are stored internal to the phone reside in RAM. If they did and you removed the battery, they'd be gone. There is an internal non-volatile storage as well as RAM.

It's likely there is a bit more to building an application to provide the ability to be moved to the SD Card and run from there. Also, I'm not positive about this, but, some apps were engineered probably before the OS supported putting apps on the SD card. I believe I have witnessed cases were a program I was using couldn't be put on the SD card, but following an Update, the feature was there.

There may be something to the other poster's comment. If the SD Card is slow (the class of the card), and if that program is large or complex and has to move many bits, it might slow things down somewhat to be transferred off the SD Card and into RAM to start running. I use a class 6 speed microSD card, and I can't really tell much of a difference.

Back
Top Bottom