• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to listen to audio when in DND mode?

Wow, I totally never even tried to use priority mode, which is the answer in this thread. There is also a similar thread with the same solution here: https://androidforums.com/threads/did-nougat-really-change-that.1133924/

As OP said, it's not so obvious what DND Priority mode does, but as far as I can tell it's the solution.

I started this topic and have been using priority more since it was suggested but I am not happy with it.

Every time I want to listen to something I need to chose priority which is a "multi tap" option. However the biggest problem is that after I exit the application the phone mode AUTOMATICALLY changes to normal.
(Phone set to mute, enter application, start audio, set priority mode exit application or close audio, phone is in "normal" sound setting)

It's a shit solution, the above basically renders it useless!

Hi guys.

I just updated my HTC one M9 to android 7 version 4.14.401.7.
I use my phone as my pocket mobile computer rather than to talk to people. I also don't like sounds and vibration so I always have it in DND or silent mode (sounds give me severe anxiety and I have sleeping issues - even vibration wakes me up)
I listen to music and audio books lot. Well, with the latest update it turns out that app volume is also muted in the silent mode and this cannot be manually overwritten.
I've been trying to find a way around this but I am not managing. I sure agree this has to be an option but I find the absolute mute forced on users in my situations to be idiotic and just something that was not well thought trough.
I am not sure I can manage with a roll back unless someone can advise how I can do that.
Is anyone able to suggest how I can resolve the issue with my audio apps as I really would like to be able to listen to my books without having to change the sound profile. And before it gets suggested the time option on allowing sound is not good enough.

Any help with this will be much appreciated.
Thank you.
I have just done the same the new update is shit with a glitch that mutes all except calls and alarms when in DND. You have to turn off DND to get sound in apps like facebook, instagram etc. Seriously WTF is up with HTC each update make the phone worse and worse...up for phone renewal so won't be HTC (or iphone ugghh) and like you I keep my phone on DND always otherwise it would sound off every 2 mins!!! Give us a patch fix for this HTC you morons!!!

Well it certainly isn't affecting all M9 devices.

On my M9 (Android 7), full DND does kill media audio, but if I select Priority mode, media audio is still active and it can be set so that all other sound output is silenced.

I also have a DND switch on my 'Quick Settings' so it can be accessed by a menu pull down and one tap to switch on, one tap to switch off.

As HTC responded to a previous poster, Carriers modify the software before updating their customers' contracted devices and I understand that at least one does not include DND in the Quick Settings.

Last edited:
Hi,

Just wanted to report. I'm from Belarus. We don't have such thing as catrier phones here, so my phone just has Russian region set and gets updates for all phones with same region. Anyway I'm having the exact same issue with DND mode which is really disturbing. Priority mode is not a good solution since I can not turn it on in one tap from sliding top panel.
Actually I don't believe it's ever gonna be fixed (since most probably it's not an issue but rather a shitty decision of some user experience team) so I'll try to find solution via rooting + external applications.

On my M9 a single tap on either Volume Up or Volume Down brings a DND switching option on screen which is as convenient as the 'Quick menu' option.

Screenshot_20170923-065014.png

Do you not have this option either?

Hi guys.

I just updated my HTC one M9 to android 7 version 4.14.401.7.
I use my phone as my pocket mobile computer rather than to talk to people. I also don't like sounds and vibration so I always have it in DND or silent mode (sounds give me severe anxiety and I have sleeping issues - even vibration wakes me up)
I listen to music and audio books lot. Well, with the latest update it turns out that app volume is also muted in the silent mode and this cannot be manually overwritten.
I've been trying to find a way around this but I am not managing. I sure agree this has to be an option but I find the absolute mute forced on users in my situations to be idiotic and just something that was not well thought trough.
I am not sure I can manage with a roll back unless someone can advise how I can do that.
Is anyone able to suggest how I can resolve the issue with my audio apps as I really would like to be able to listen to my books without having to change the sound profile. And before it gets suggested the time option on allowing sound is not good enough.

Any help with this will be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Have you tried 'Override Do Not Disturb' in the notifications section of each app?

Have you tried 'Override Do Not Disturb' in the notifications section of each app?

Every time I turn the music on! I allow the app from the notification section. This however switches the whole sound profile (for the whole phone) from DND to Vibrate.

If instead I just switch the sound profile from DND to Vibrate to allow for music (why not since this is faster and the result is the same), once I stop the music the sound profile (again for the whole phone) autho switches to Sound. Cause I was listening to music and that must be what I want.

The more I am using this new feature the more ridiculous it seems. If you believe I am doing something wrong I am accepting more detailed suggestions of what I should do.

I have also tried external apps that presumably allow for better sound control. Not working ,same result.

I have a Samsung A73. And it's very annoying that when my DND goes on my audio books mute. So only way I can find to fix it is turn of DND. Any one know an answer?

Back
Top Bottom