• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps How to locate keytool for publishing

did this help

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Since there seems to be nothing on the web that directs us novices to the keytool.exe for creating keys, here is what I have found out (for windows)

1. Go to start
2. Select windows command prompt
3. Change directory to C:\Program Files\Java\

by typing in so after user\user name: cd C:\Program Files\Java

4. type in dir to see what type of java you have then type in cd (your java type)

for me it was:
C:\Program Files\Java cd jre6

5. Then change directory to bin
C:\Program Files\Java\JRE6\ cd bin

6. From there you can run the keytool command that every tutorial tells you to

Attachments

It appears that trying to create the keystore is not possible without setting the path (file to go to?) or doing it manually in command prompt (?). Once I have successfully done this, I will post how to do so.

OK got it.

Trying to create a keytool on a windows seven machine cannot be done unless you specify the target folder inside user workspace.

So once you have located the keytool, do the following:

keytool -genkey -v -keystore (here you should type the folder you want to go followed by .keystore) -alias (specify name that you like) -keyalg RSA -validity 10000

for file name you should use C:\Users\(specify folder path from here)

I used C:\Users\[my last name]\.android\[key name].keystore

Once this is done, just go to eclipse
-Select export project
-Select project type as android
-Then select project you want to export (should be in directory of projects working on)
-Select the keystore (just browse and find where you saved it) you will have to enter the password that you used to create it
-Select alias (just go for existing alias) you will enter password here as well (most likely the same password)
-And then select where you would like the .apk file to go to

Bam, your done!

It's easier to just use eclipse to do it.

File -> Export -> Android -> Export Android Application

Ive done all the things above but i cant find my java file location, do i need a certain ype of java or is there and esy way to find it?

Back
Top Bottom