• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to move apps to sd card on an unrooted device: A noobs guide

DeadlyDazza

Jan 7, 2010
Nottingham, England
IMPORTANT: I am not the author of this article and do not want any thanks or credit for the process. Please thank the original author, as i have done.
If you do want to thank me, thank me for doing the searching, as i scoured the net to find a solution to our Xperia play storage problems.
Yes, i found various other guides on the net but ultimately found what we need right here under our noses.
Please, please, thank the original author.

Just for the record. I am not an Android whizz but found this very simple to do just by following the original authors instructions.

(fyi: I didn't have to install any drivers, for some reason they had already installed, so if you're not prompted to do so, then you should be ok.

Anyway, Below is the link describing exactly how to tap your installs to your SD card.

http://androidforums.com/desire-tip...ed-device-noobs-guide-updated-09-02-11-a.html

30 minutes ago i was sitting with an Xperia Play with only 75mb left on the internal memory for installs.
Now i have 165mb, i have installed 2 more Play enabled games from the market & ALL of my installs now go to the SD card.
I'm sure i'd free up even more memory if i flashed back to factory (or maybe not with the bloatware) but i don't see the point.

If you are having any trouble with the SDK or installing the drivers then there is another guide here.
Howto: Install the Android SDK - CyanogenMod Wiki

A couple of points i must re-iterate to anyone as n00bish as me.

1. Your old apps & games that couldn't be moved to your SD will still be on the internal memory but CAN NOW BE MOVED TO THE SD via the settings/applications/storage/SD card/check method
  2. For apps with widgets to work they must stay on the internal storage
  3. Any apps you install FROM NOW ON will install competely to the SD card
  4. If you want to use any apps with widgets, move them to the internal memory AFTER INSTALL using step 1 method.

Enjoy your Xperia Play, i know i will, now !

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones