• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to move some files to SD Card

Ann Carr

upload_2016-11-27_19-59-22.png

What is the nature of the data you want to move ? Are they videos, photos or apps ?

Thank you for writing. First, I like to apologize for the large post. I couldn't get it smaller and actually didn't intend to post it this way. It just posted it before I realized that it had already sent.
Anyway, in the past, I was able to move some doc's and pic's over to the SD card by using : Settings, then Apps.
In this screen shot there used to be the option : Move to SD Card. Now, it's not there anymore. Maybe something has changed in the settings but I just can't see where it might be. The instructions say, Settings- Storage-Internal Storage. Then there should be the option "Apps", but I don't have this option and I don't know how to get it back.
Do you or anybody have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

I'm having the same problem with my Galaxy s7 and Galaxy Tab2. Both have version 6.0.1 on it. Is it possible that the settings have changed with the updates?

Ok so I just summarize what others have said :

The good news: Android 6.0 allows moving apps and data to SD card if the SD card is formatted as adoptive storage.

The bad new: Samsung removed the capability to use SD card as adoptive storage from their devices.

Now the ugly: if you are affected by the problem above, you must root your devices to use a SD card as additional storage to move apps and its data to it.

Try a file explorer Ann Carr. Solid Explorer or Total Commander should be able to do the job for you. Not apps but individual files like documents or photos. Which device is that screen shot from? I'm guessing you are looking at the SD Card storage in that picture.

Thank you for writing. First, I like to apologize for the large post. I couldn't get it smaller and actually didn't intend to post it this way. It just posted it before I realized that it had already sent.
Anyway, in the past, I was able to move some doc's and pic's over to the SD card by using : Settings, then Apps.
In this screen shot there used to be the option : Move to SD Card. Now, it's not there anymore.
Maybe something has changed in the settings but I just can't see where it might be. The instructions say, Settings- Storage-Internal Storage. Then there should be the option "Apps", but I don't have this option and I don't know how to get it back.
Do you or anybody have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

That is for moving apps to the SD card.

You're interested in moving user files, docs. jpgs, etc.
You can do that using the stock My Files file manager that came with your tablet and/or install a nicer app, e.g. FX File Manager. Avoid ES File Manager, it's gone to hell and suspect security-wise, as well as over-bloated with ads.
Also, you can set the camera to default to saving to the SD card. Check camera Settings. Other apps allow this, too, so check the app's settings to see if it's available.

Start with My Files

Last edited:
Also, I can't remember, but I think on the Tab 4 the external card might be labeled Ext SD Card and the internal storage of the tablet is labeled SD Card. Confusing, so just beware.

Thank you for everybody who took the time to answer my question! There are so many things I'm going to try. Thank you for the tip about ES File Manager. The next thing I'm going to try is the built-in "My Files" The video is so informative.
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom