• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to prevent stranger viewing data after phone lost/faulty?

spman

Android Enthusiast
Hello,

Lets say if my phone (needs password/fingerprint to unlock) is lost (or faulty whole screen is black/crack fully/cannot turn on and sent for repair), assuming the thief or repairman is an expert and can access the data inside, how can I prevent my data from being viewed/change?

If anyone unlocks the phone they can see the sms/whatsapp/gmail/contact list/calendar/photos...

Is there something that you can do to prevent data leak?
Is it possible like after the phone is lost/faulty, log out of all gmail and apps that are still logged in in phone and delete all photos/whatsapps/sms/contact list/calendar...

Is there anything to prevent the thief retry unlimited retry of pattern/number lock? Or set longer delay after wrong input?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello,

Lets say if my phone (needs password/fingerprint to unlock) is lost (or faulty whole screen is black/crack fully/cannot turn on and sent for repair), assuming the thief or repairman is an expert and can access the data inside, how can I prevent my data from being viewed/change?

The data in the internal storage is AES256 encrypted, with no known bypass or backdoors. So if even if he were able to directly read the storage, without the key it's just digital white noise.

If anyone unlocks the phone they can see the sms/whatsapp/gmail/contact list/calendar/photos...

Is there something that you can do to prevent data leak?
Is it possible like after the phone is lost/faulty, log out of all gmail and apps that are still logged in in phone and delete all photos/whatsapps/sms/contact list/calendar...

Is there anything to prevent the thief retry unlimited retry of pattern/number lock? Or set longer delay after wrong input?

Thanks.

The phone would definitely need to be unlocked. A thief may try brute force attacks, or unlimited guesses. But depending on how the lock is setup, so many failed attempts erases all the stored data, and there's timed lockouts from repeated wrong guesses. On the Huawei I've got, you get five guesses initially, then 1 minute timeout, one guess, 5 minute timeout, one guess, 15 minute timeout. And after 20 guesses the data is erased.

Last edited:
The phone would definitely need to be unlocked. A thief may try brute force attacks, or unlimited guesses. But depending on how the lock is setup, so many failed attempts erases all the stored data, and there's timed lockouts from repeated wrong guesses. On the Huawei I've got, you get five guesses initially, then 1 minute timeout, one guess, 5 minute timeout, one guess, 15 minute timeout. And after 20 guesses the data is erased.

Do you mean Huawei after 20 guesses all the data in phone is erased by itself like a factory reset?

Any idea what is the amount of guesses and timeout of Samsung Note8? Is there any app or settings that can adjust the guesses amount and timeout time?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom