• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to protect privacy?

Re VPN, anonymising services, encrypting e-mail etc, they'd probably all help if you'd rather make it slightly more difficult for the security services to look over your shoulder, however there are a few issues, not least that these are the very activities that are most likely to ATTRACT the attention of the security services when they probably wouldn't have been interested in you otherwise :D

Also, much of what is currently being tracked are start/end point of e-mails, calls etc so you wouldn't be denying (or limiting) them much.

VPN wouldn't stop most of your internet activity being easily tracked via the websites you visit (another recent kerfuffle has been over them getting data from Google, Yahoo etc etc). Some sort of anonymising service might be slightly more effective .. unless it was set up by CIA in the first place, of course :D

LOL indeed: it was the Republicans that passed the enabling laws :D

As much as I enjoy politics debates. I won't bother responding to that since I believe parties on both sides could be guilty of such privacy invasions. But let's keep on topic. Truthfully for all those that have seen the movie enemy of state and such movies like it will start to realize that perhaps there was truth to that movie after all. If the government is monitoring everyone then who is monitoring the government? Who gets the right to make sure the government is playing by the rules? This so called 29 year old whistle blower just exposed foul play from the government and now president Obama tells this nation and I quote " if ya can't trust us then we have probelms" that does not assure the American people of anything just proves the government pass laws everyday but refuse to abide by their own laws.

If the government is monitoring everyone then who is monitoring the government?

The age old question: who watches the watchers? I don't think there is an answer - somewhere down the line, you end up having to trust someone.

Or not.

Who gets the right to make sure the government is playing by the rules?

I believe there's an oversight committee in the US.

Of course, they only get to know about what they're told about ..

That does not assure the American people of anything just proves the government pass laws everyday but refuse to abide by their own laws.

To be fair, a lot of this stuff is actually legal. Another age old problem: getting the people who make the laws have those laws prevent them doing things they want to do.

Look at the rules relating to bribery and corruption: basically, pretty much anything our politicians call bribery or corruption when it happens in Asia or Africa is perfectly legal in our countries, so long as you call it lobbying.

not much they do is legal since it affects the constitution. as far as ease dropping most in states its illegal to record someone without their consent so as far as the goverment recording our calls or listening to it they are breaking the law in lots of states and thats less than 1% of the things they violating already. But bottom line im not worried over this i have a buddy that refuses even to log into gtalk/hangout just beacause of this. I kinda laughed at that but its his choice perhaps a bit paranoid but hey after everything thats been going on perhaps he's right.

It's true that eavesdropping, wire tapping etc is illegal for private citizens and even for police forces, however the Patriot Act made most of this legal for Federal, security-related organisations. Which is why so many people are puzzled that this is a story now, 12 years after the law was passed.

I don't know whether the Patriot Act has been tested on constitional grounds however, given the make up of the Supreme Court over the last 12 years, I'm guessing they would have been fine with it.

well the issue was involving verizon i didnt hear or see anything about any1 else

Try PRISM

OK if what they say is true, it doesn't affect US citizens but if you take into account the number of non US people (including me in the UK_ using services fom Microsoft, Google, etc.. I think it's likely affect far more people worldwide.

Try PRISM

OK if what they say is true, it doesn't affect US citizens but if you take into account the number of non US people (including me in the UK_ using services fom Microsoft, Google, etc.. I think it's likely affect far more people worldwide.

Old post I wasn't aware of who what where when. Saw and read the whole story about the 29 year old cia agent seems some stories online focused more on what verizon was doing than shedding the light on the whole entire issue. In other words has alot more to do than just cell phones.

Tips to have perfect privacy.

1. Acquire a baseball bat.
2. Use baseball bat to destroy computer and hard drive.
3. Acquire scissors.
4. Use scissors to destroy all your credit cards, debit cards, checks, library cards, movie rental membership cards, gym membership cards, etc...
5. Grab your cell phone, dunk in water for 20 minutes. Locate baseball bat from step one, destroy phone.
6. Place destroyed computer, cell phone, and other destroyed items in your vehicle.
7. Locate a lake or large body of water that will accommodate your vehicle.
8. Drive vehicle into body of water or lake, making sure you have safety hammer to be able to exit vehicle safely.
9. Taking only one change of clothing locate nearest forest.
10. Live off the land.

Congratulations, you now have perfect privacy.

Try PRISM

It sounds very much like what they already do in China, where companies (including foreign ones like Microsoft, Yahoo and Apple)have to give full co-operation to the government, for access to everything that people do online.

Congratulations, you now have perfect privacy

.. except from those pesky satellites.

You're going to need that forest to be somewhere cloudy and to have very dense foliage (visible spectrum) plus, your clothes obviously have to made of tinfoil (for infrared) .. Not sure what you do about microwave and other parts of the electomagnetic spectrum. Switch the tinfoil for lead, maybe?

Unfortunately, can't display this cartoon, but it shows a PC with curtains over the screen and an old dear explaining to her friend, "I made them to stop the CIA seeing into our living room".

living in cave is proven to have an astonishing results on privacy protection :-)
in reality there is no way, they are going to get you if they need you.

Efforts to conceal our communications via encryption or other means (special apps, vpn, tor etc) could be like magnets that might attract government spying attention as they analyse data.

Back
Top Bottom