• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to put a new os on my Galaxy A8 tablet?

Windows? No chance. However may try looking for a custom ROM. You might be able to use it as a cheap laptop replacement as it is, all depending on whatever it is you want to do. Microsoft makes Office for Android, and there's Google Docs as well. So if it's some simple word-processing, it should be no problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Windows? No chance. However may try looking for a custom ROM. You might be able to use it as a cheap laptop replacement as it is, all depending on whatever it is you want to do. Microsoft makes Office for Android, and there's Google Docs as well. So if it's some simple word-processing, it should be no problem.
I kinda really don't like the samsung os, is it possible to put even linux on it instead? Maybe I'll just return it and get a windows tablet instead when it's on sale.

Upvote 0
I kinda really don't like the samsung os, is it possible to put even linux on it instead? Maybe I'll just return it and get a windows tablet instead when it's on sale.
why not just get a new launcher? i hate OneUI which is samsung's launcher. i use Nova. it is so much better and it has a ton of customizations if you buy the Prime key which is a one time purchase.

edit: and anytime you are talking about changing the OS or even getting rid of it, you need to look into rooting. not all devices can be rooted however.....especially samsung devices. which samsung device do you have? what is the model number?

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
why not just get a new launcher? i hate OneUI which is samsung's launcher. i use Nova. it is so much better and it has a ton of customizations if you buy the Prime key which is a one time purchase.

edit: and anytime you are talking about changing the OS or even getting rid of it, you need to look into rooting. not all devices can be rooted however.....especially samsung devices. which samsung device do you have? what is the model number?
Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 SM-X200NZAFXAR

Upvote 0
Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 SM-X200NZAFXAR
Ok so this tablet is rootable. I found this: How to root SM-X200

It's not the best guide out there. Read the thread in full if you have the time. There might be a better guide, but I'm out getting food. I'll post more info, if I find a better guide.

Reactions: AugieTN and Voxel
Upvote 0
Ok so this tablet is rootable. I found this: How to root SM-X200

It's not the best guide out there. Read the thread in full if you have the time. There might be a better guide, but I'm out getting food. I'll post more info, if I find a better guide.
This is super helpful thanks. I will admit I don't actually know what is being said or how to do any of it though. I'm a low-level hardware enthusiast, my software knowledge is pretty minimal.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
Hopefully ocnbrze will have easier to understand directions for you!

If all else fails I would try to load Linux on it. Maybe Linux will bust through and zero the hard drive and end what Samsung has convinced people is an impenetrable Samsung Bootloader.
you most likely will need root first before you can install linux. i could be wrong.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
ok i did some reading on that thread i linked earlier. there is a lot of stuff being done on linux. i am not a linux guy.

but for now please check out these links:
you will need to root via Magisk here is the guide for that:

next you will need twrp:

again please read everything first before attempting to root. if you have any questions post them here.....good luck.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
I have until June to return it, might just do that. I didn't realize this would be such a hassle or require things I didn't understand. I kinda thought it would just be simple, like changing the os on a computer.
You will definitely need to go through an extensive amount of re-education to do what you want. That tablet is by design intended to be running an Android operating system so switching it to a different platform is going to involve a lot of effort on your part. Just think it through -- You need to be comfortable installing a non-native bootloader, tweaking its settings accordingly so it actually works consistently and reliably, and then installing and configuring a non-native operating system so it also works consistently and reliably. Otherwise, you might just end up with a bricked device that you wasted money on. That's a negative summation but again, the tablet is by design intended to run an Android OS by the manufacturer. The necessary drivers, firmware, and software will correlate with the particular hardware configuration of the table itself. Any other operating system will require some advanced auto-configuration (recent Windows and most Linux distros do have pretty sophisticated hardware auto-detection now), but the hardware in a tablet consists of a logic board with huge number of components so when a non-native operating system isn't able to work with all of them that's a potential weak point. A big issue will be the tablet is ARM so with Windows you'll have a lot of hassles since it's primarily an Intel OS, and some Linux distros do also include ARM variants but not all of them.

In short, keep in mind this tablet is not what you want in a tablet. Either start to accept and embrace it as is, or look elsewhere for something that you can just when you plug it in.

Upvote 0
I have until June to return it, might just do that. I didn't realize this would be such a hassle or require things I didn't understand. I kinda thought it would just be simple, like changing the os on a computer.

Even that's no so simple sometimes. For Windows you've often got to look for and install all the drivers it needs for the particular hardware configuration of the computer. And for Linux, even that you may need to hunt out and sometimes build hardware drivers.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
There are countless launchers available that mimic or at least try to mimic OSs such as Windows 10, even Windows Phone if you miss it. They're not perfect, many are ad-based and require either subscriptions to get rid of ads, some are a one-time purchase.

I'm guessing you're more accustomed to the UI of Windows over Android, not trying to run specific, Windows-exclusive apps, right? I used Nova to turn my phone into a convincing Android 2.3 phone, even though I wasn't able to replace every app with an old version, however. But at first glance, and assuming you only use Music, Phone, and the Gallery, you would be fooled into it still running Android 2.3. It's a WIP but in my case I'm too accustomed to the skeuomorphism of old Android (and Windows 7 which I still use) and just cannot adjust to flat design (which just reminds me too much of DOS and Windows 1.x, Amiga WorkBench or Tandy DeskMate)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones