• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to put the Google search bar widget to the bottom of my Android 10 homecreen?

Dave_M

Lurker
Mar 4, 2021
Hi, normally the home screen looks like this:
upload_2021-3-5_20-57-15.jpeg
right?
The google search bar is on top, and apps below. Can't I make it like this?
oneplus-7-pro-android-10-gestures-1.jpg

The thing is, when I press and hold and drag the Google search bar widget to the bottom, only the top layer of apps move to give space, the very bottom layer of apps are still. Can't I do that on Android version 10? home screen layout isn't locked

the bottom layer being the bottom row of apps on your screen? or the row of icons associated with your back button and app drawer and such?

you can just move the apps one by one up the screen to make room for the search bar. also @Dannydet makes a good suggestion in making nova as your launcher. its a great custom launcher that can customize your phone to the point where it almost feels like a new phone! i highly recommend nova, but there are others you can try ADW is another one to look into.

curious as to what phone you have?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the bottom layer being the bottom row of apps on your screen? or the row of icons associated with your back button and app drawer and such?

you can just move the apps one by one up the screen to make room for the search bar. also @Dannydet makes a good suggestion in making nova as your launcher. its a great custom launcher that can customize your phone to the point where it almost feels like a new phone! i highly recommend nova, but there are others you can try ADW is another one to look into.

curious as to what phone you have?
I mean that last row of apps (in the first image) where you could see Chrome. That's the one. I could move the icons on that row, but the search bar widget wouldn't stay in that place.

Upvote 0
No, on most launchers the bottom row is the "dock", a fixed row of icons that stays in place when you swipe between homescreens.
The thing you need to know is that there is no such thing as a "normal" layout for any version of Android. The home screens are provided by an app called a "Launcher", and it's the launcher's capabilities and options that determine how you can lay the screen out, not the Android version or the manufacturer. Different manufacturers bundle different launchers with their phones, but you don't have to use the manufacturer's choice, you can download an alternative and use that.

If you can point us to the page in AndroidCentral where you found that image it might give us a clue as to what launcher they are using.

I just had a quick go with Nova Launcher (my preferred launcher) and was able to place a search widget in (or over) my dock. This doesn't seem quite the same as the shot you included, which looks to me like it still has a dock above the search widget, but it did at least let me put the widget in the place you want. (I've not investigated this before because personally I prefer not to have a search widget at all - I figure I can open a browser when I want to search something).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi, normally the home screen looks like this: View attachment 156710 right?
The google search bar is on top, and apps below. Can't I make it like this?
oneplus-7-pro-android-10-gestures-1.jpg

The thing is, when I press and hold and drag the Google search bar widget to the bottom, only the top layer of apps move to give space, the very bottom layer of apps are still. Can't I do that on Android version 10? home screen layout isn't locked

As others have noted, it's your launcher that controls those things. I would suggest looking at Microsoft launcher, they keep it very generic and easy but add a few things like a two row dock if you'd like.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones