• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to root after OTA 2.3.4 update

I used the same method mentioned in the link above, but the /preinstall/dosu command would not work. So skipped that step and it still rooted my phone :)

Strange that it worked without it. For those the can't get the /preinstall/dosu command to work, what is recommended on XDA (and worked for me) is to use /preinstall/su instead. Not sure why it varies from phone to phone.

Upvote 0
I just tried this method earlier today. Everything worked up until I tried the /preinstall/su command. (I used su instead of dosu because dosu didn't work) It said that permission was denied. Any idea what went wrong? I tried going on to the next step as well, but it said permission denied again :/

phone info:
4.5.91.MB860.ATT.en.US
Android 2.3.4 (OTA update)

Upvote 0
I used the same method mentioned in the link above, but the /preinstall/dosu command would not work. So skipped that step and it still rooted my phone :)

Hi
What happens after "fastboot reboot" command?
My phone restats like normal -
I used ----/su arnd it looked like it worked.
then the prompt seemed to be ==> root@localhost*

is that where the other commands are typed?
Thanks
Joe

Upvote 0
Thanks Milenko2121. The website instructions did perfectly root my Motorola Atrix (previously rooted but lost root after updated to Android Version 2.3.4)

The final command did result in the command line message "PATH=/system/bin:$PATH pm install /preinstall/Superuser.apk
pkg: /preinstall/Superuser.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS]"

Nonetheless, my Atrix was rooted and obviously the message was because I had the SuperUser app left over from the previous Android 2.2 version.

Cheers and keep up the good work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones