• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How To Root

tattedman

Android Enthusiast
DISCLAIMER: I am not be responsible for the following/but not limited to:
You brick your phone
You damage the phone.
It doesn't work for your phone
You smash your phone from frustration
You drive over your phone from frustration
You throw your phone against the wall
You drop it in the toilet
Your computer crashes
You get hit by a car
You get hit by bird crap
Your girl/boyfriend dumps you
You get robbed in the middle of the night
In a nutshell I am not responsible for anything that happens following this guide.

UPDATE: If you have Android 2.2.2 follow this metod:
Ok as I mentioned z4root doesn't work on the latest update.....

Problem solved. the answer: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682
[APP]SuperOneClick v1.9.5

I personally used v1.7 but the latest version should work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuaXu8kusvA

Follow the directions at http://theunlockr.com/2010/10/11/how-to-root-your-android-phone-superoneclick-method/
with these exceptions:
I had usb mass storage mounted but I'm not sure if this matters but to replicate my experience set it to usb mass storage.

When it goes to test it may fail. When you get root is installed power off the phone and restart it. There you go you have root.... well with out the ability to flash custom ROMS yet.
I suggest installing http://www.appbrain.com/app/root-checker/com.joeykrim.rootcheck to verify this...

I still have that pesky locked bootloader but now I can remove bloatware... first to go uno

If you still have Android 2.2.1 use this method:
To Root the Motorola Cliq 2 in a few simple steps:
I am not be responsible for the following/but not limited to:
You brick your phone
You damage the phone.
It doesn't work for your phone
You smash your phone from frustration
You drive over your phone from frustration
You throw your phone against the wall
You drop it in the toilet
Your computer crashes
You get hit by a car
You get hit by bird crap
Your girl/boyfriend dumps you
You get robbed in the middle of the night
In a nutshell I am not responsible for anything that happens following this guide.

1. Go to: [APP] z4root - xda-developers and download the z4root 1.3 apk

2. go to the Market and download ASTRO File Manager: ASTRO File Manager for Android | AppBrain.com

3. Connect your computer using either the usb cable and mounting the SD or Using The Motorola Portal and opening the file manager and drag the file to the ROOT of the SD card.

4. Open ASTRO File Manager and open the Z4Root file. It will ask you to install it. Install it ( It may ask you to change the settings for unknown sources go to the settings and toggle the check to allow unknown sources.

5. Open z4root and click permanent root. It will then ask you to turn usb debugging on. Turn it on.

6. Set the phone down walk away... go have a cig (Like I did). This will take about 5 mins to complete.

7. The phone will shut off when it is done. It will then restart. If it doesn't hit the power button.

8. Open the apps drawer and check to see if there is an app called superuser. If so go to the market and download Root Checker. Root Checker - Android app on AppBrain
Open the app and verify you have root. (why do this? Well I rooted other phones and just because the superuser app is there doesn't always mean you have root.)

Thats it you now have root!

*Note you may notice that the app market links I provided all link to AppBrain.com. I like this site because of the app installer. I can have my phone 100 miles away and still click install on the site and it will install the app for me. All the apps there are from the android market. to me its just easier.

To Root the Motorola Cliq 2 in a few simple steps:

1. Go to: [APP] z4root - xda-developers and download the z4root 1.3 apk

2. go to the Market and download ASTRO File Manager: ASTRO File Manager for Android | AppBrain.com

3. Connect your computer using either the usb cable and mounting the SD or Using The Motorola Portal and opening the file manager and drag the file to the ROOT of the SD card.

4. Open ASTRO File Manager and open the Z4Root file. It will ask you to install it. Install it ( It may ask you to change the settings for unknown sources go to the settings and toggle the check to allow unknown sources.

5. Open z4root and click permanent root. It will then ask you to turn usb debugging on. Turn it on.

6. Set the phone down walk away... go have a cig (Like I did). This will take about 5 mins to complete.

7. The phone will shut off when it is done. It will then restart. If it doesn't hit the power button.

8. Open the apps drawer and check to see if there is an app called superuser. If so go to the market and download Root Checker. Root Checker - Android app on AppBrain
Open the app and verify you have root. (why do this? Well I rooted other phones and just because the superuser app is there doesn't always mean you have root.)

Thats it you now have root!

*Note you may notice that the app market links I provided all link to AppBrain.com. I like this site because of the app installer. I can have my phone 100 miles away and still click install on the site and it will install the app for me. All the apps there are from the android market. to me its just easier.

So I tried doing this as you said, however when I try to install z4root.apk, my AVG software tells me that the application is infected. Is there another way or an app that isn't infected to root my phone?

So I tried doing this as you said, however when I try to install z4root.apk, my AVG software tells me that the application is infected. Is there another way or an app that isn't infected to root my phone?
First Hello
Second have you taking the latest update? If so follow this method
http://androidforums.com/cliq-2-all-things-root/343096-soak-update-rooted.html

This is due to the fact rageagainstthecage security hole has been fixed in 2.2.2

If not: To root is technicly a infected issue. It uses exploites to change premissions.

Back
Top Bottom