• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to set different notification sounds for apps

vinoman

I just upgrade to android 9 and its missing an important function to set different sounds for gmail and text. I've always been able to set a different sound notification for my gmail and one for my texts. I can't find this option in android 9. Did they remove this.

How can this be done in Android 9?

not sure on a moto, but i can do it on my note 8. go to gmail and at the top hit the hamburger(it is the three lines), scroll down to settings, select your email address and not general, select manage notifications. now this will take you to what looks like the notifications settings found in your phone setting, but it is not. it should show you your gmail address and then select sound, and change it to the sound you like.

not sure on texts, but at least you can change the your gmail sound.

edit:
i also was able to change my text sounds as well by going into the app's settings and change the sound. i then checked the general notification sound that i originally set in the phone's settings and it did not change to the sound now assigned to my text messages.

......so now i should have separate sounds for gmail, text, phone calls, and general notifications.

Last edited:
Settings > Sound only has one default sound. android 9 doesn't let you set sounds for other apps. :(
Any other ideas?

not sure on a moto, but i can do it on my note 8. go to gmail and at the top hit the hamburger(it is the three lines), scroll down to settings, select your email address and not general, select manage notifications. now this will take you to what looks like the notifications settings found in your phone setting, but it is not. it should show you your gmail address and then select sound, and change it to the sound you like.

not sure on texts, but at least you can change the your gmail sound.

edit:
i also was able to change my text sounds as well by going into the app's settings and change the sound. i then checked the general notification sound that i originally set in the phone's settings and it did not change to the sound now assigned to my text messages.

......so now i should have separate sounds for gmail, text, phone calls, and general notifications.

from my previous post

nope i'm on pie as well on my note 8. it might be different, but i think in gmail it should be the same.

It should be, but I don't see choices for sounds.
Maybe Gmail settings have changed?
I'll just have to put up with this new system with all its faults. :(
Thanks for trying to help.

I just upgrade to android 9 and its missing an important function to set different sounds for gmail and text. I've always been able to set a different sound notification for my gmail and one for my texts. I can't find this option in android 9. Did they remove this.

How can this be done in Android 9?

Settings>Apps & Notifications>Gmail>Notifications>Mail>Advanced>Sound

Pretty sure the same thing worked when the g6 was on Oreo, but that definitely works on Pie I just double checked.

I followed your instructions and there is no Sound option in Advanced in my version 9.
Notification only has On with no other options. My version 9 is missing these functions!

OK, I've been using Android 9 for a year (Pixel 2, July 2019 patch level). I don't use the GMail app, and in fact disable it, but I've re-enabled it just to check this.

So here it is in detail: open GMail app. Hamburger menu > Settings. Choose the account, not "General settings". From there choose "Manage notifications", then under "Advanced" you will find the option "Sound" which lets you choose the notification sound for that account (so if you use the app with multiple accounts you can have different notification sounds for each). I've also updated GMail to check that this is still true with the latest version (and once I'd confirmed that I've disabled it again - it's not an app I need myself).

Since you've not told us what message app you use I can't tell you how to set it for your SMS. But you always change these things via the individual app's settings, never through the system menu (been using Android for 10 years, and this has always been the way you customise notifications).

Last edited:
OK, I've been using Android 9 for a year (Pixel 2, July 2019 patch level). I don't use the GMail app, and in fact disable it, but I've re-enabled it just to check this.

So here it is in detail: open GMail app. Hamburger menu > Settings. Choose the account, not "General settings". From there choose "Manage notifications", then under "Advanced" you will find the option "Sound" which lets you choose the notification sound for that account (so if you use the app with multiple accounts you can have different notification sounds for each). I've also updated GMail to check that this is still true with the latest version (and once I'd confirmed that I've disabled it again - it's not an app I need myself).

Since you've not told us what message app you use I can't tell you how to set it for your SMS. But you always change these things via the individual app's settings, never through the system menu (been using Android for 10 years, and this has always been the way you customise notifications).

I use the default text messages app that come with Android. Thank you for the info, Now I can have different sounds for each gmail account. :)

Problem solved even thought Android 9 is missing some features that 8 had. Maybe 10 will be better, but I'll never get that update running Moto G6.

The default text message app depends on what phone you have. The AOSP one hasn't been updated for many years, so it's unlikely that you have that, but I don't know whether Moto use Google's "Messages" app (pro: has RCS, con: very little customisation) or a Motorola app.

The only significant omission I found with Android 9 was that Substratum no longer worked without root. But I guess different people have different requirements (and I make very little use of manufacturer's stock apps, so won't notice if they lose a feature with an update - they are anyway apps rather than part of the OS).

I followed your instructions and there is no Sound option in Advanced in my version 9.
Notification only has On with no other options. My version 9 is missing these functions!
Glad you got it fixed but you have to click where it says Notifcations On.That opens up a second menu that will have Mail among a list of options, you click that. Every app on your phone has a menu like this under Android settings, you could change your text notification the same way.

Edit: for the default messages app it's:
Apps & notifications> Messages> Notifcations > Other notifictions>Advanced>Sound
edit 2: I just tried the way going through Gmail's settings, it takes you to the same system menu. Only difference would be going through Apps & Notifications you can change the sound for any app all the same way.

Here is what the end menu will look like, this is a screenshot from a g6 on Android 9
neyeqMm.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom