• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to sort apps?

I've got a Samsung Continuum SCH-I400 with the Froyo update. It's not rooted and I don't plan on rooting it. I don't want to take the chance of turning it into a brick.

As apps get updated/installed/removed, the apps screen gets out of alphabetical order making it hard to find things. How can I resort the apps? I've read a few posts elsewhere about going into the apps screen, menu, edit, menu again, and there should be a sort a-z option. I don't get that option. All I get is save and cancel. Perhaps it's only available on a rooted phone?

You should see that screen once the app drawer is open. Open app drawer ...then press "menu". Now you should see the "sort" menu ...

What is the apps "drawer"? Is that what comes up when I'm on the home screen and tap "applications"? If so here is what I see. When I tap menu, I get "edit" and "list view". When I tap "Edit" and then menu again, I get "save" and "cancel". Nothing else.

Yes, that is the app drawer. Tap "list view". It will alphabetize it for you. Then, if you don't like the list view, tap it again. (I think this is called "icon view"....

My daughter prefers her apps in the order she installed them, which I think is native on her phone. Pain in the neck when she asks me to fix something. . I always change it to list view so it is alphabetical...

With my daughters phone, she prefers "grid" view, as do I. But, in order to get them alphabetical, I always have to tap "list" view. Then close drawer. It alphabetizes, then I can go back to grid view.

I use a launcher on my phone (MIUI Launcher for ADW) and it alphabetizes automatically. On tablet, TouchWiz launcher also does it automatically.

Sorry I can't be more helpful..

Its called grid view and there doesn't seem to be any way to sort it.

Actually, there is. In apps, hit menu, then edit. Long press on the app you want to move until it vibrates. Then drag it to insect page (out dock position) you want. I would use sherri's method for initial alphabetizing, then use that to keep them sorted. But, as far as the apps automaticslly staying sorted in grid mode, I'm afraid you are out of luck.

Of course, you could always root :-)

Or use a launcher...

Generally, I would agree. But, the continuum is a little wierd (dunno if you have one. If you do, then I apologize). We have the option for all calls to go to ticker if you are in another app. The only way that this works, though, is touchwhiz. Adw or any other launcher (I'm a golauncher fan), and you lose this function. That feature is definitely one of the most positive features of this phone.

Back
Top Bottom