• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how to transfer app data from any android to any android without using google's servers?

jusieo

Lurker
I want to transfer all apps from one android phone to another android phone, and I want to keep all app data (i.e. keep access to the account), not install them from scratch, but without using Google's service.

From Android 8.0 to Android 10, possibly without root.

What options are available?
thanks

You say "possibly" without root. With root I would suggest Titanium Backup as my first approach - I've not used it for a few years now, but it was always the most reliable solution.

Without, then as @ocnbrze says many manufacturers have their own data transfer apps (Samsung's Smart Switch is one example). These vary in what they transfer, but if they work then that is probably your simplest solution. The reason I say "if" is because I've had mixed experiences: using the HTC one when my wife bought a HTC 10 went perfectly, including transferring texts, but the Google one that came with my Pixel 2 didn't work at all for me (though others reported more success).

Otherwise you could try using "adb backup" if you are happy with command lines and have a computer. Don't try to make a full system backup, just user-installed apps (the chances of system data restoring successfully to a different phone running a different version of Android are nil, and you'll almost certainly have to reset the phone if you try). Be aware that this does not back up/restore SMS (which makes me wonder whether Samsung's tool is based on the same foundation?). There used to be a convenient tool in the Play Store for this, called Helium, but it's not been updated for about 8 years and I gather that it doesn't work with Android 11, not sure about 10.

I always have separate backups of everything important anyway (pictures, messages, contacts) rather than rely on any one tool.

You say "possibly" without root. With root I would suggest Titanium Backup as my first approach - I've not used it for a few years now, but it was always the most reliable solution.

Without, then as @ocnbrze says many manufacturers have their own data transfer apps (Samsung's Smart Switch is one example). These vary in what they transfer, but if they work then that is probably your simplest solution. The reason I say "if" is because I've had mixed experiences: using the HTC one when my wife bought a HTC 10 went perfectly, including transferring texts, but the Google one that came with my Pixel 2 didn't work at all for me (though others reported more success).

Otherwise you could try using "adb backup" if you are happy with command lines and have a computer. Don't try to make a full system backup, just user-installed apps (the chances of system data restoring successfully to a different phone running a different version of Android are nil, and you'll almost certainly have to reset the phone if you try). Be aware that this does not back up/restore SMS (which makes me wonder whether Samsung's tool is based on the same foundation?). There used to be a convenient tool in the Play Store for this, called Helium, but it's not been updated for about 8 years and I gather that it doesn't work with Android 11, not sure about 10.

I always have separate backups of everything important anyway (pictures, messages, contacts) rather than rely on any one tool.

thanks,

so with Titanium after restoring the backup on the new phone app will appear already installed and with app data?

and the ADB backup need root?

Titanium does need root (on both devices), and to restore all apps at once rather than one-by-one requires the paid version (or did when I last used it) - personally I'm happy to pay for apps, but I know some regard this as somehow an affront. But if you restore from Titanium it does restore data as well as the app.

ADB does not require root. You need to enable USB debugging and you need to install the adb program on a computer, then connect over USB and type the commands on the computer.

I have a license of Titanium Backup but haven't used it in years, ever since rooting Samsung phones became problematic due to tripping Knox. I'm now moving from a Galaxy Note 8 to a Note 9 (yeah, they don't make 'em like they used to :cool:).

If I want to transfer all applications, including data, should I root both phones and use Titanium Backup? Will I be able to un-root the new phone to make sure I can install all apps that are blocked on rooted phones?

if you have a samsung phone you can use Smart Switch

it does not backup or restore text messages unfortunately. however you can use SMS Backup and Restore
I believe that newer versions do transfer messages as well. I have texts that predate my S22 Ultra on it from my Note 10+. While I do have SMS backup and Restore on the phone I don't have any current backups.

Edit: Just realized this thread is 2 years old. Maybe this information will still be helpful to someone.

Back
Top Bottom