• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to update C811 outside US?

meskalin

Hi I have Casio Commando 4G runing stock not rooted Android 4.0.4 I live outside US and I can not update the phone to JB 4.1. When I try settings-system updates-check for updates I get: Error A dowload error has occured for your software update. Please try again later. I can not get any support or software from Verizon. Is there any other way to update?

Well... I have signal problem. I use it on GSM and most of the time my signal is only one bar,when I go to settings-search networks (manual or auto) I get full signal all five bars but after awhile it drops down to one bar. So I was hoping an update will fix that.
When I was connecting it to the computer it didn't give me option to install Verizon Wireless Software Upgrade Assistant nor Verizon Cloud after reading the post from space_cat I manualy installed Software Upgrade Assistant but the software can not find the phone I think it's a driver thing. I will do some more research and try to instal OTA if that doesn't work I'll try some custom ROM.

When I was connecting it to the computer it didn't give me option to install Verizon Wireless Software Upgrade Assistant nor Verizon Cloud after reading the post from space_cat I manualy installed Software Upgrade Assistant but the software can not find the phone I think it's a driver thing. I will do some more research and try to instal OTA if that doesn't work I'll try some custom ROM.

I doubt you'll be able to install OTA, because you're not on a Verizon network if you're overseas.

The Update Assistant seems like it should work for you (unless it checks to see if you're on a Verizon network?) The update Assistant must be installed manually on the computer, (it never prompted me to install itself, anyway.) Be sure you set the USB on your phone to MTP mode. And while you're messing with all of this update stuff, please turn on USB Debugging in the Developer Options section-it may save your phone later by allowing ADB to connect to any softbricking you might experience. The Assistant also has some options you can toggle on and off by right-clicking on the icon in the task bar.

The root method that RJGlenn mentioned works, but what I personally don't like about it is the need to Flashify a bunch of stuff like custom recovery, and it blocks the upgrade path from Verizon until our developer, Doctoror, can come up with a new ROM. This might not be an issue really, because I doubt we'll see another update, but who knows. A rooted phone can also mess with warranty claims, though that doesn't affect you Meskalin.

Where are you located (just curious)?

My pc has win7 32 bit when I connect the phone to it, Upgrade Assistant does not auto start even though it is set to auto start when the phone is connected. With other words doesn't recognize the phone, when I manualy open Upgrade Assistant it says: to upgrade your device connect it to PC. If alredy connected then disconnect and reconnect. I did that many times in all modes but still the same. I connected the phone with my tablet that has win 8 -32bit did prompted me to install Upgrade Assistant and every time when I connect the phone is asking me to install the software but the same problem Upgrade Asst. can not connect with the phone and I also get notification on the phone: -Back up Assistant Plus Error. That is Verizon application and works only on verizon network. So if the software on the pc needs to Verizon sync or needs some kind of a permission from the phone or Verizon than I'm afraid space_cat (cheers from Macedonia) you are right. It can not be updated overseas. My hope is fading my last idea is to try with Windows 64bit (at least I will eliminate the drivers thing).

Sounds like the custom ROM is going to be your best bet then. There are good instructions on this site to do it. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom