• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire Z - problem adding gmail account

zen84

Lurker
Hi

Last week i bought htc desire z, added gmail account without problems.
Today, I upgraded my system to 2.3.3, want to add gmail account and I geth this message:

...@hotmail.com does not use Gmail

I use my hotmail mail to login to Gmail acc, and as I said, week ago I had no problem adding this acc, and now this. Any idea how to solve it?

I need Gmail acc to use android market

EDIT:

Funny thing is, htc requires my gmail acc in a form: ...@gmail.com

I thought OK, went to my gmail acc and decided to change my present mail with my google mail.
When I try to do it, it says: Sorry, a Gmail address is not allowed to be the primary address of this account.
I can't even add it as a secondary mail: [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]You can not associate a Gmail address with your Google Account.

So, any ideas...
[/FONT]

You've gotten me totally confused about exactly what you're trying to do where with what accounts. Start over and to be as clear as possible.

I'm totally confused. You say you use hotmail as your log-in for a Google Account. Clear that up. Do you or do you not have a Gmail account? Note that GMail account is not equal to a Google account. I had a Google Account once that use a Yahoo! login, but I did not have a Gmail account.

I need Gmail acc to use android market

EDIT:

Funny thing is, htc requires my gmail acc in a form: ...@gmail.com

I thought OK, went to my gmail acc and decided to change my present mail with my google mail.
When I try to do it, it says: Sorry, a Gmail address is not allowed to be the primary address of this account.
I can't even add it as a secondary mail: [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]You can not associate a Gmail address with your Google Account.

So, any ideas...
[/FONT]

nothing you have explained makes any sense. however u can still use ur gmail account for the market and use the mail app as ur primary email app and just add all your email accounts to that instead of trying to use the gmail app

Long ago, I created email account on hotmail: example@hotmail.com
After a while, I created google account using that email -> my login to google account is example@hotmail.com.

On my HTC, I enter applications -> Gmail and choose Sign In. I enter my login (example@hotmail.com) and password. Application tries to connect to google servers and after a few seconds I get this message:

example@hotmail.com does not use Gmail

[textbox]@gmail.com - like it is forcing me to use login ending with "@gmail.com"

Hope I made myself understood now, if not, pls, tell me how may I make a screenshot on HTC so I can post it here

Don't use the Gmail app. Obviously it will only allow xxx@gmail accounts to be entered. Setup all your accounts including Gmail in the standard email app. Handy to have all accounts centralized in one place anyway.

When I try to use android market without having gmail acc set up, it redirects me to gmail acc settings.
I created new google acc and used it on my HTC so I can access android market, but it is more like a temporary solution. Or is there a way to access android market without gmail acc? (sorry for dumb question, but I am new to android)

Back
Top Bottom