• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire Z shutting off when tapped on a certain corner.

Hello,

This has randomly started happening today to my phone: I noticed first that it was randomly shutting off for the first time ever; I've had it for about a year and a half. I thought the problem was overheating since it's been a super hot day, because it was doing it randomly while being used and not being used. After trying out some stuff and testing it, it looks like what is causing it to shut off completely is being tapped on the physical bottom left-handed corner of the phone. By a tap I mean I just gently tap it against a table, or against a table through a thin cushioning material. I tried all four of the physical corners after I found this out and it is only the single corner that causes it.

Due to this I can guess it's hardware related, but what could be the cause? A loose cable or power connection that it broken because of the shock? Also, would it be repairable or not?

It could be the battery contacts have some debris build up on them. Try turning off the phone, then remove the battery. Then on the battery contacts on both the battery and phone, rub them gently with a soft eraser. Ensure that no eraser bits are left. You may want to wipe them with a dry tissue. Do not touch the contacts with your fingers as they may be oily. Put the battery back in and turn the phone on.

I've had my phone for over a year and a half now as well. A few times, I noticed that it was shutting off randomly as well. One time, I noticed if I put it down on a table not too gently (but not really hard either) that it would shut off. I can repeat this. I reseated the battery as I described above and it seemed to have fixed that issue.

Back
Top Bottom