• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Evo Headphone Jack 3.5mm is Loose!

T Mac

I may be taking my Evo back to Best Buy already. I have tried a couple of different 3.5mm plugs and they are all loose in my phones jack. If I move the phone around it sometimes loses connection. These plugs were the same one's that worked fine with my Hero. Anyone else having this problem?

I'm having a similar problem, although from what i've heard its happening with most evo's. It seems to work fine with regular music playback, but I really wanted to use the fm radio while i'm at work instead of pandora, which uses a lot of battery. when i plug headphones in all the way, i get no stations at all. even my pocket fm radio from the dollar store gets more stations. I read on a thread for the fm radio that if you unplug the jack just a little bit, it helps with reception, and that worked great. the only problem is, the headphones are then loose in the jack, causing the audio to cut out anytime the jack is wiggled. So basically if the phone is in my pocket, its too much cutting out to actually listen to it. i'm taking my phone back today because of this and a small issue with the screen, although i'm not sure if the stores have any extras left from the big sale on friday.

Mine is loose as well, i've tried the ear phones that came with my Ipod touch and also my Zune, suppose to be 3.5 mm jack but i think it is a tad bigger, i did start a thread on this yesterday its probebly on the 3-5 pages by now only one reply there, that person recomended a different set of headphones forgot the name, maybe a poll is needed to see how many earphone are loose at the connection, and get HTC to get the right jack needed 3.5mm the earphones should be nice and tight and not loose. Thinking that not very many people are trying out the FM Radio.

Just found my post on this it was on the second page.

http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/93014-fm-radio.html

Sorry to repost. I didn't find that when I searched. I also could not get FM Radio to work on my phone. Now I know why. I'm going to go back to Best Buy and have them try this on some new in the box Evo's and see if any of them work. If so, I'm exchanging mine. I use mine to listen to the radio while running and this won't work for me.

Sorry to repost. I didn't find that when I searched. I also could not get FM Radio to work on my phone. Now I know why. I'm going to go back to Best Buy and have them try this on some new in the box Evo's and see if any of them work. If so, I'm exchanging mine. I use mine to listen to the radio while running and this won't work for me.
Yeah, bring your earphones/headphones and see what happens. Good luck.

I think i'll shoot an Email to HTC about there 3.5mm jack.

HEY!!! I just found out something. I went over to my coworker who also has on EVO. She was listening to her Pandora radio through external 3.5mm speakers. Her connection at the 3.5mm jack was strong and didn't cut out with any movement. She unplugged the connector and I noticed that it was recessed down into her case. When she plugged it back in she had to push hard and it snapped in place. I then tried mine on her connector and it was the same way. I came back to my desk and tried it again and voila! It does get a good connection. I just wasn't pushing it down hard enough. So, FYI, if you're having the same issue, please push the connector in til it snaps and/or make sure the connector isn't stopping for some reason, ie; case, irregular 3.5mm connector, etc...

Geez, about 4min ago i sent a comment about this to HTC in there customer service. Well i just did you did there T MAC and it works it nice and tight and not loose, looks like a problem solved..I just did'nt want to force anything yet on this EVOO.

Thanks, now to send HTC a dis-regard notice now. Doh....

Man, I'm so glad to hear this and to find out that it wasn't really a problem after all. Thanks for the reassurance.

So you're saying all you had to do was push the connector in harder? I went back to my headphones and tried that with no luck. I literally pushed it in until i thought the phone was going to break. I definetly hear the jack 'snap' into place, but again i get no reception with that. If i pull it out a bit it works, but then the connection to the headphones is loose.

Is the jack hitting the case or anything not letting it go ask the way down? Does the headphone symbol appear at the top when the connector snaps into place? You should feel and hear it snap down and it should be hard to pull out but still be able to swivel while connected. My platinum case has a hole allowing the jack to go down thru to recess the connection. I believe this was the problem before that one of the other connectors wasnt fitting thru that hole before.

Is the jack hitting the case or anything not letting it go ask the way down? Does the headphone symbol appear at the top when the connector snaps into place? You should feel and hear it snap down and it should be hard to pull out but still be able to swivel while connected.

yes, the headphones go all the way in and click, and the headphone icon appears on the phone. like i said, if i pull them out just a bit, i get very good reception, but it wont work for long because as soon as the headphones move, the connection is broken.

Sounds like a defect then. Are you saying it wont work in general or specifically with a program like fm radio? If it doesnt work at all I would take it for a return.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

no it works fine for everything else. and in the fm app i can hear the static fine in both ears. it just seems like the connection for the antenna isnt good enough.

wow my earphones work i am using the green one from bestbuy and they fit snug and the fm radio works great i wish everyone else luck they are made by jvc i think they are called gummy not sure.

Well the problem may just be my headphones. I use a pair of studio Senheiser's that i also use at work, and I figured since they were so expensive they would work. But maybe since they are made so good, they are made differently from other headphones. I tried my girlfriend's ipod headphones, and they worked a bit better, but still not good enough. But today, i found an old pair of cheapo headphones, and those worked pretty good. So I guess i'll just have to carry those for when i want to listen to the radio, and my good ones when i want to listen to mp3's.

Here's my issue. It's somewhat related I think. I have my pc speaker connected to my headphone jack. I just picked up my EVO to change songs (playing mp3's with the default music player) and when I set my EVO back down on my desk, it started switching songs. So I start fiddling with the headphone jacks and when I would move it around a certain way, the songs would start jumping to the next song.

Anyone have this happen?

texagg01: I have exactly your problem. The ***king thing does it EVERY time I use it with my aux 3.5mm car stereo input (or regular headphones)- but not only does it skip around songs (really *****amn stupid piss-you-off kind of bug), but it ALSO sometimes thinks that I have a microphone headset plugged in and randomly activates the Speak a Command screen while music is supposed to be playing. I don't think I've ever been more pissed off at a device in my life.

You know the little icon at the top which indicates when you have a headset or headphones plugged in? It switches back and forth between microphone headset and regular headphones while only plugged into headphones the whole time. Definitely a huge bug that needs to be addressed. It's probably HTC's fault. They need to get their **it together before I sell this for an iPhone.

And yes, the jack is plugged in all the way, past the snap.

hmm i wish i knew that solution before i already took it back to the sprint store and ordered a new one. oh well. the plus side is i still get a new evo. :)

I had problems with the jack also. First you should be able to push the jack all the way down until its snaps into place. Should not be half way. I tried different headsets none work great, I either had static or no reception at all. Finally I tried a headset WITH THE MIC. They have 3 rings instead of 2 in the plug. It works perfect!!!!. I can hear all the radio stations in my area with no problem.
I have the Bose mobile in ear headset and its awesome!! Of course the sound of this headset it's a plus.
Before you return your Evo, you should try a headset with a Mic.
Good luck, I hope this helps !

Back
Top Bottom