• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Magic vs HTC Dream?

Alright cool. Sorry for all the questions.

Also do you stay rooted after you update to a root build? Or do you have to do it again..?

Also which builds are the best. I see they all have names but I have no idea what each one does

yes you stay rooted as long as you update with another rooted build and depends on what you want to consider best personally i go with Cyanogen because he is already implementing Donut components into his builds not to mention slight ui tweaks and HUGE performance difference... but if you want it to LOOK great or FUNCTION great you have to shop around for what you think best works for you not the same for everyone thats why there are som many choices

Upvote 0
yes confusing with all the G1 G2 stuff.. hes in canada so basically our magic we call it G2 also.. not much tho.. as far as rogers vs ion vs mytouch there is a difference mate.. our rogers magic has more ram than the us version(mytouch) so when asking questions during your rooting process make sure you dont get stuff of the uk or usa version... look for rogers or non google branded or 32a when looking up magic info

Upvote 0
Alright, another question.

How do I know which rooted builds are for the magic? (I have check getyourdroidon and have no idea!)

Also thanks about the 32A comment, it helped a lot.

One more thing, I read that before you do any of this root stuff, you need to have an engineering bootloader with the three androids on skateboards, any links to download/install instructions?

Upvote 0
Alright, another question.

How do I know which rooted builds are for the magic? (I have check getyourdroidon and have no idea!)

Also thanks about the 32A comment, it helped a lot.

One more thing, I read that before you do any of this root stuff, you need to have an engineering bootloader with the three androids on skateboards, any links to download/install instructions?

Here is a link to the guide >>> How to Root your Magic - GetYourDroidOn

Upvote 0
Another question :

Place update.zip on SD card.
1. power off the phone and boot into fastboot (hold back and power)
2. fastboot boot recovery.img
3 [optional]. make a backup with nandroid
3. apply update.

on step 3, when you have to apply the update you put on the SD card, how do you do that? Do you put the SD card back in the phone or what?

Also WHERE do you place update.zip

Upvote 0
Also a quick question, what is all this about the Radio? Does it really matter?

How do I update the radio? Should I?
I am using the CyanogenMod ROM that was moddified to work for the Rogers Magic.

I finally understand about ROMS and rooting, but I have no idea about Radio and Recovery Image.

*Edit 2*

No I am wrong, the Recovery.img just sends it to recovery mode, correct?

So wtf is the radio?

*EDIT*

After I root, do I replace the Recovery.img and boot.img in the tools dir with the ones that are included with the ROM (if any)

Upvote 0
At least it saved you the trouble ... And we all send you our regets and sympathy for having Rogers...

Sympathy for having rogers????? Rogers is one of the only phones that can run hero because of the 288 ram we have what do you mean by that? I mean we can run it smoothly without doing all that that partition this and that crap you G1 saps have to do.. only problem with any Rogers phones is that our G1 version (Dream) cant be rooted so maybe thats where your comin from.. *shrug*

Upvote 0
he is talking about the shit plans and 3 year contracts, not the phone itself.

Does anybody know how to find out how much RAM the phone itself has? Because mine is from rogers and is 32A and it is fast and everything but I really want to know if it has 288MB of RAM for real, or if rogers is just spreading BS.

Upvote 0
Sympathy for having rogers????? Rogers is one of the only phones that can run hero because of the 288 ram we have what do you mean by that? I mean we can run it smoothly without doing all that that partition this and that crap you G1 saps have to do.. only problem with any Rogers phones is that our G1 version (Dream) cant be rooted so maybe thats where your comin from.. *shrug*

Well there seemed from the posts here that Rogers customers had issues with getting paid apps among other complaints... I have no personal knowledge nor any beef with them ... just seemed from the tone of many of the posts here, that Rogers was extremely Rigid and unprepared to have the openness of TMO in the us ... It comes across as: "It's Rogers Way or No Way" ...

I think that when Carriers customize phones that cripple their use in other places ... that that is narrow sighted ... this is .. and we live in a global society ... so Branding and locking a phone down is So MicroSoftish/Applish !!

Rooting, unlocking and unbranding should be the choice of the phone owner not any specific Carrier ... I understand that many places dont have the choice ... but "Limiting" is not the answer ...

Oh BTW "We G1 saps" as you call us have the most flexibility in making our phones function like we want ... with the best pieces of various android phones on the market ... Our custom ROMs and themes ... are what keeps our phones fresh and new from week to week ... If we wanted phones that were hog-tied to a Carrier & Developer ... we would be sporting iPhones...

PS: G1's are running Hero Builds, so dont be feeling like you are so exclusive. :)

Upvote 0
PS: G1's are running Hero Builds, so dont be feeling like you are so exclusive. :)

your missing the point.. not saying we are exclusive... just saying we are most compatable being 288 ram and all.. my only beef with you G1 folk is im trying to get info on mods for my magic and you G1 people keep posting garbage in the magic forum that we dont need to do because we already have the neccesary hardware
even on other forums where it clearly states rogers magic roms etc.. there is people like you that go there and post stuff to do to the phone but you have a G1 or a mytouch3g.. dont you all have G1 forums to post and help them guys.. sorry for venting.. nothing personal

Upvote 0

your missing the point.. not saying we are exclusive... just saying we are most compatable being 288 ram and all.. my only beef with you G1 folk is im trying to get info on mods for my magic and you G1 people keep posting garbage in the magic forum that we dont need to do because we already have the neccesary hardware
even on other forums where it clearly states rogers magic roms etc.. there is people like you that go there and post stuff to do to the phone but you have a G1 or a mytouch3g.. dont you all have G1 forums to post and help them guys.. sorry for venting.. nothing personal

Not Taking anything personal ....

The Magic is nothing more or less than a Dream w/o a physical keyboard ...
until parts of the OS get customized by a specific Carrier ...

There are forums here at AF for the Dream, Magic, Hero, TMO, Rogers, etc ... it is true that people dont always post there questions or answers in the correct forum ... there is some cross-over of features that are common across the platforms... so this can be messy ... Naming conventions of the phones has caused many confusions as well ....

Upvote 0
hello all,

I am on the verge of ordering either a dream or magic and am having trouble trying to figure out which one. It seems that they are basically the same hardware only one has the physical keyboard and the other has a built in video camera. Is that pretty much it besides the physical design?

It is hard to tell but from this thread is sounds like there may also be differences in the SD memory as well as the amount of RAM on each device.

My preference is for the physical keyboard as it seems to be more versatile but since I am buying an unlocked phone and dropping a large chunk of money on it I want to make sure there aren't any major features that make the magic a clearly superior phone.

thanks for your time.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses. I picked up an unlocked Rogers HTC Dream last night and couldn't be happier. This thing is so cool. I admit the form factor leaves a little to be desired but other than that, so far I am really excited about hacking into this thing. It feels like a new frontier.

I am part of team working on a social networking application so it will be a great device to test mobile access.

cheers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones