• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC One S Battery Tips

agentc13

Daleks Über Alles
HTC One S Battery Tips
One of the best things to do in order to get better battery life is to reduce the drain while the phone is in an idle state. Usually the phone spends most of the time idling (screen off, no apps running). You can see a large amount of battery drain when the phone is being used, so we want to offset that by lowering the drain when we're not actively using it for something.

Here are some ways to do that:
  1. Turn off Mobile Data (4g etc), Wifi, BT, GPS unless needed. You can toggle them with a power widget or in the settings. You can also use an app like Juice Defender to automatically turn them on briefly on some sort of schedule.
  2. Lower your brightness while indoors (or other low-light situations). The screen uses a lot of power when on, so turn it off if you're done (instead of waiting for it to timeout). The screen is usually the biggest drain on my battery.
  3. Airplane mode for weak/no signal areas, sleep, or work hours. When your phone is searching for a signal it drains the batter pretty quick. Not only does it transmit at maximum power, but it does it frequently to try to re-establish a connection with a tower. So if you know you'll be in a weak/no signal area for a while, it is a good idea to disable the radio. If you are in an area with Wifi, you can use Wifi calling instead (I know this currently can be quite the power drain as well, but hopefully a fix is coming soon).
  4. Disable Background Data/Sync, transition animations, vibrations. Whenever the CPU does extra processing, it runs at a higher frequency. Audible sounds & haptic feedback use extra battery power too. Motors (for vibration) typically use a lot of power compared to audio & CPU processes.
  5. Remove bloatware. Don't run task killers, disable or uninstall bad apps (root is required to uninstall system apps). Some apps may be waking up the CPU in the background either accidentally or because they were coded badly. Task killers also frequently keep the system awake to monitor what processes to kill, they also tend to be counterproductive to the way the Android OS works (see here for more info).

I have the T-Mobile USA version of the One S, so there may be some slight discrepancies from other/international versions. I know that is especially true in the amount of bloatware that comes pre-installed. Also, I'm not sure if the Wifi calling battery drain issue is present in the other versions. Regardless, this should be a nice simple guide to help improve battery life for some people. You don't have to do all of these things (or any of them) if you are happy with your battery life. They are just suggestions that might help you out. YMMV.

I also want to give some credit to Whyzor. I based much of this of a similar thread he made for a different device.

Just to add to what agentc13 has said about the screen.

The screen is an amoled screen which only lights up the non black areas. If you want to make the battery last longer, change the phone wallpaper to a plain black wallpaper for when you are away from a charger or the battery is getting low.

The screen will then only be 'working' where you have shortcuts or widgets

Back
Top Bottom