• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC U11+ phone setting crashes instantly (com.android.phone)

DjAlonDevil

Lurker
Apr 29, 2018
I've got an interesting problem, whenever I go to Settings>Phone it automatically crashes. It displays the following:“Unfortunately the process com.android.phone has stopped." and then I have the option to send a report to HTC or not. I tried to do a lot of stuff such as: Restart the device, try with airplane mode on, delete cache on the Phole application, take out the SIM-card, delete data info from Google Play Services, downgrade the Google Play Services, install an update but to no avail. I searched online and couldn't really find anything similar. I want to note that I have no idea when this started to happen or how. I just tried to access the setting after over a month that I didn't even look there so this could only happen in the last month or so. I would like to also say that I haven't tried to delete data from the Phone application because all of my contacts are saved on my phone and not from Google or my SIM-card. I included a video depicting something weird happening when I receive the error when trying to access the Phone application... the signal bar seems to go crazy for some reason. Please help me as soon as possible because I need to access a few options in that setting.

Attachments

• barsignal.mp4
    226.8 KB · Views: 284
The OP hasn't been back for 4 years, so isn't likely to answer.

They should have tried clearing data for the phone app, because that isn't the app that stores the contacts so they wouldn't have lost them. Of course if they only had contacts on the phone they should make a backup anyway: go into the contacts app's settings, find the option to export the contacts and use that. That will save them to a vcard file (.vcf) which can then be copied to somewhere safe (in case you lose or break the phone: if the only place you keep something is on the phone you could lose it at any time).

So that's my suggestion: back up your contacts for safe keeping (just because you should anyway) then clear data for the phone app, and see whether that fixes it.

Also, what happened yesterday? App update, system update, you installed a new app, anything at all? Software doesn't get bored and commit suicide, so something will have caused this problem, so if you noticed anything it's possible that might help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones