• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC unlocking bootloaders for all phones made after sep 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainObvious

Just thought i'd throw this out there since i was browsing phonedog and android central. Looks like s-off isn't too far away!

"Got a newer HTC-made Android device whose bootloader you'd like to unlock? We've got some good news for you today, as HTC has announced on its HTCDev website that all of its Android products released after September 2011 are now unlockable. Not all devices will show up on HTC's unlock list right away, but the company says that its site will be updated to reflect the changes in the coming weeks. As for any pre-September products? HTC says that it's still working on those models, but didn't provide any details on when new devices will be added. The full statement from the folks at HTC:

"All HTC Android devices launched after September 2011 are unlockable. The website will be updated accordingly to reflect this in the coming weeks. We continue to work on models launched prior to September 2011, please check back often for the status of older devices."

Some folks will be more excited about this news than others, but for those that like to tinker with their handsets, this is pretty awesome stuff. Kudos to HTC for keeping its word. For those of you that spent the duration of this post wondering just what the heck a bootloader is and why someone would want to unlock it, be sure to check out Taylor's explanation on the subject right here. If you decide to take the plunge and break your phone's bootloader free of its shackles, drop by the comments section below and let us know how it goes for you!"

HTC makes bootloader unlocking tool available to all devices released after September 2011 | PhoneDog

I thought I read somewhere about how unlocking it will void your warranty. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about voiding my warranty. Granted, I think most manufacturers consider your warranty void if you root your phone. I wonder if HTC has found a way of embedding software that will alert them to any phone that's been rooted, sort of a CarrierIQ for manufacturers. I wonder what 'duh masses' over at the Nexus community will have to say once we have full root capabilities....."Yeah but umm but mine came with ORIGINAL ICS!!"

breaking news from the G Nex masses

i'm glad the ReZound is getting some action. its great for the community. Yes rooting and or unlocking the bootloader will always void your warranty. However if you follow instructions and make the necessary precautions you should be ok.

HTC Makes All Handsets Released Since September 2011 Unlockable

there is the phandroid article about it.

here is the thread started in the ATR section if you guys want to read up on what is developing more

http://androidforums.com/rezound-al...ev-com-unlock-perm-root-amon-ra-recovery.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom