• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Huawei internal storage help?

As Eugene says, you won't see 4GB of storage. I'm surprised you actually see as much as you do!

Some of the 4GB is 'lost' in formatting - just like on your PC - but the biggest space hog is Android itself, which takes up quite a chunk of space.

On my 16GB Nexus I have 12.92GB available which suggests that the version of Android on my phone effectively takes around 3GB :eek: (I believe, strictly speaking its less, but 16 minus 13 is 3 :D)

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's an advertising "trick" that all storage devices use. The 4gb is the total unformatted space. Once it's formatted, a portion is used for the filesystem data (to tell programs where files are located on the drive). After that, a portion is used for the OS.

Between those, can lose up to a gig of space. My Huawei is set up similar. Four GB total, 2gb set aside for the emulated "SD Card", 377mb for the "system" partition, 882mb for the internal storage/app space (/data), 128mb for the cache. That's around 3.4gb total.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones