• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I love this phone (review)

TriumphLance

Android Enthusiast
Hello. Just wanted to let anyone on here considering this phone know I absolutely love mine and recommend it. I had an LG Optimus V, then a Motorola triumph for a year. Well i got mad and broke my Triumph and this thing is better than both of those, now I'm glad i broke the Triumph. Its a speedy little phone with uncluttered pure Android ICS. I don't miss the extra half inch screen from the Triumph because if you browse the web with the physical keyboard pulled out you don't lose anything on your screen. The slide out keyboard is absolutely a breath of fresh air after the years of annoying touchscreen keyboards..except I still use Slideit when in portrait mode, which makes that more manageable and I'm a pro at that keyboard now. The screen isn't the best sharpness or resolution, but its fine for me and brightness is never an issue as I always turn my screens down (sensitive eyes I think). I got mine on sale for $79 at target and I totally satisfied.

I won this phone around xmas time from a contest that Kyocera was running. I had the Optimus V also. The V was a very solid and reliable phone and did incredible things in it's day but this phone does 90% of what you can do on any of the superphones.

It may not run the newest games very smoothly but for any normal basic tasks like browsing the web, texting, posting to forums, etc. it is a perfect.

The camera is kind of a drawback as the photos aren't great and the videos are almost painful to watch or listen too but I am blown away at how much I can do with this thing considering the price it sells for and the amount I am paying for VM service (again my service has been pretty rock solid as far as texting and calling, data could be faster and / or more consistent. I know lots of people have had problems with the network vision changeover but so far so good!

I also really enjoy the keyboard as typing on a screen drives me bats!

Great little phone, especially considering the price!

Now that I've had it a couple weeks just a little update. Very few issues but occasionally the phone will randomly reboot in my pocket. The screen easily scratches so I quickly put on a screen protector. The slide out keyboard is great, although I'm a little concerned about the durability long term of the sliding action, I guess time will tell.

Hello. Just wanted to let anyone on here considering this phone know I absolutely love mine and recommend it. I had an LG Optimus V, then a Motorola triumph for a year. Well i got mad and broke my Triumph and this thing is better than both of those, now I'm glad i broke the Triumph. Its a speedy little phone with uncluttered pure Android ICS. I don't miss the extra half inch screen from the Triumph because if you browse the web with the physical keyboard pulled out you don't lose anything on your screen. The slide out keyboard is absolutely a breath of fresh air after the years of annoying touchscreen keyboards..except I still use Slideit when in portrait mode, which makes that more manageable and I'm a pro at that keyboard now. The screen isn't the best sharpness or resolution, but its fine for me and brightness is never an issue as I always turn my screens down (sensitive eyes I think). I got mine on sale for $79 at target and I totally satisfied.

This phone is dog $hi+

Now that I've had it a couple weeks just a little update. Very few issues but occasionally the phone will randomly reboot in my pocket. The screen easily scratches so I quickly put on a screen protector. The slide out keyboard is great, although I'm a little concerned about the durability long term of the sliding action, I guess time will tell.

So far, no serious problems with mine. Performance is much better after rooting, and a few tweaks, like:

1. EGL hardware drivers for the Adreno 205 GPU over the cpu software ones.
2. Freezing (but NOT uninstalling) some system apps, like the camera via Titanium Backup.
3. Using No-Frills CPU Classic to limit CPU range from 806-1024 MHz, with ondemand governor.
4. Using Green Power Premium to improve battery life while the phone is idle, and not plugged in to USB or AC Charger.

Yes, this phone probably isn't as good as some of the newer ones in VM's lineup, and yes, the camera leaves a little to be desired (but I've gotten around that with good shooting technique and PC photo editors like GiMP)... I still like this phone a lot. At this point, I might have it for at least another year or so. I used my rooted LG Optimus V as a phone for about 1 1/2 years; I now use it sparingly as a streaming WIFI media/music player at home, and as a temp backup phone, should my Rise ever take a dump on itself within the next year.

As far as older phones, I'd certainly rate it better than, say, the Motorola Triumph. That one had even more problems than I can type here, though rooting and replacing the ROM on that can fix it, but it takes more tweaking than with the Rise IME.

Yeah I just love the slide out keyboard. I've gotten extremely fast with it. The phones performance is good enough for Facebook messenger, Web browsing, and eBay so I'm happy.

So far, no serious problems with mine. Performance is much better after rooting, and a few tweaks, like:

1. EGL hardware drivers for the Adreno 205 GPU over the cpu software ones.
2. Freezing (but NOT uninstalling) some system apps, like the camera via Titanium Backup.
3. Using No-Frills CPU Classic to limit CPU range from 806-1024 MHz, with ondemand governor.
4. Using Green Power Premium to improve battery life while the phone is idle, and not plugged in to USB or AC Charger.

Yes, this phone probably isn't as good as some of the newer ones in VM's lineup, and yes, the camera leaves a little to be desired (but I've gotten around that with good shooting technique and PC photo editors like GiMP)... I still like this phone a lot. At this point, I might have it for at least another year or so. I used my rooted LG Optimus V as a phone for about 1 1/2 years; I now use it sparingly as a streaming WIFI media/music player at home, and as a temp backup phone, should my Rise ever take a dump on itself within the next year.

As far as older phones, I'd certainly rate it better than, say, the Motorola Triumph. That one had even more problems than I can type here, though rooting and replacing the ROM on that can fix it, but it takes more tweaking than with the Rise IME.

what drivers are you talking about. the chain fire 3d ones?

what drivers are you talking about. the chain fire 3d ones?

His own modified port of them from a diff phone.only possible for those who know what their actually doing otherwise you will change something significant and render your phone useless as this deals with ui.mess it up and their is no way to recover given 3e recovery and factory resets do not touch forementioned only cwm

Back
Top Bottom