• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I want to install Gingerbread without the sense ui on my Evo. Can this be done?

However, I would like an official OTA quality version of gingerbread with working 4g, wifi teher capable, etc. Pretty much as if sprint/htc released 2.3 earlier this month without sense. Is this possible? Is there something like that available?
I think what you want is an AOSP ROM. There are several available, check the AOSP section at the bottom of the OP in this thread. CM7 runs beautifully on my Evo 4G.

Upvote 0
you don't really turn off sense ui, it still runs in the background and eats up rescources
I'm currently running FreshEvo 4.1.1.0 (gingerbread), I'm using ADW EX launcher and nothing Sense or htc related is in my running apps list or in my cached apps list. You may have Sense or htc apps in your cached list but are you sure they're actually running rather than cached?

Upvote 0
something else to consider.. you can turn off sense ui in the phone.. and use a different launcher.. like Launcher pro, or zeam, or something like that..

I tried this for several months. Nothing but frustration as Sense kept screwing with me, apps that I know I killed respawning. I would kill Sense only to have it restart on me randomly. It was so frustrating that I went to CM7......and found bliss. I really liked Sense at first but now I hate it with a passion.

Upvote 0
I tried this for several months. Nothing but frustration as Sense kept screwing with me, apps that I know I killed respawning. I would kill Sense only to have it restart on me randomly. It was so frustrating that I went to CM7......and found bliss. I really liked Sense at first but now I hate it with a passion.

yeah i used to love sense when i first rooted. but then i found cm7 and tiamat and i was in evo heaven. however, virus's kingdom rom with sense 3.0 is a whole other beast. i love this rom, im still getting used to the decline in battery life, but this thing is amazing.

Upvote 0
yeah i used to love sense when i first rooted. but then i found cm7 and tiamat and i was in evo heaven. however, virus's kingdom rom with sense 3.0 is a whole other beast. i love this rom, im still getting used to the decline in battery life, but this thing is amazing.

I agree. The new sense roms are awesome.....but the battery life is a deal killer for me. I can't wait til the Devs start cooking up kernels for us once they get ahold of the source code.

Upvote 0
I agree. The new sense roms are awesome.....but the battery life is a deal killer for me. I can't wait til the Devs start cooking up kernels for us once they get ahold of the source code.

yeah i know what is htc waiting for? the ota is already out. maybe it might come with the fixes htc is supposed to be releasing on monday. i hope and crosses fingers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones