• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I want to like Android...

OK something that breaks on concrete isn't exactly what I call higher grade material. I want a tough water resistant phone and it's too bad the Motorola i1 just doesn't have the specs...

Metal/Glass > Plastic

Just because plastic doesn't break when it hits concrete doesn't mean that plastic is a higher grade material, it just means that its flexible.

Reactions: Medion
Upvote 0
Metal/Glass > Plastic

Just because plastic doesn't break when it hits concrete doesn't mean that plastic is a higher grade material, it just means that its flexible.

To add to this.

Plastic is a shatter-proof material. It won't shatter when dropped on concrete the way glass does.

However, every material has a scientific hardness. Diamond, for example, is a 10. Only diamond can scratch another diamond. Glass is a 6 (and gorilla glass is a 7). In order for something to scratch glass, it has to be a 6 or higher to do so. Plastic is a 3.

I often do a demo for people using my car keys (a 4) and my Zune HD (using gorilla glass, a 7). I'll take the keys and aggressively scrape them against the screen, and quickly too. No scratches.

The easiest way to scratch glass is to get debris on it (of which some could be sand, which does scratch glass), taking a cloth, and aggressively wiping the screen using circular motions. That WILL scratch your glass screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones