• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS Based Swype

Thanks , new android user since the nexus came out and I have been dying to try it out. Swift key is nice but a few things I don't like

Thanks!

I tried to install the Beta Swype on my sgn and i get "screen size not supported." Does it wprk for anyone else?

Hello there, it's my understanding the full version of Swype is a paid app? If you'd like to try it on the Nexus, you can sign up for the beta here.

Please see the Site Rules and Guidelines for our policy on warez and piracy.
Well it's paid in the sense that phone manufacturers pay to install it on their phones... But we, the users, can't pay for it anywhere.

Beta is the only option if you want to use it. However, the beta is currently incompatible. There are several modified apk's floating around that simply work around the bug. Swype has stated that they don't support it (obviously since it's something beyond their control, and thus wouldn't want folks using it and having problems), though they've taken no action against these modified apks. With how open the beta is, I think it's generally recognized that these apks are simply a band-aid in lieu of an official fix from Swype.

Not saying anything about the moral or ethical implications.

Well it's paid in the sense that phone manufacturers pay to install it on their phones... But we, the users, can't pay for it anywhere.

Beta is the only option if you want to use it. However, the beta is currently incompatible. There are several modified apk's floating around that simply work around the bug. Swype has stated that they don't support it (obviously since it's something beyond their control, and thus wouldn't want folks using it and having problems), though they've taken no action against these modified apks. With how open the beta is, I think it's generally recognized that these apks are simply a band-aid in lieu of an official fix from Swype.

Not saying anything about the moral or ethical implications.

As far as I was aware, Swype were dead against modified apks? I know they asked XDA to ask their devs not to include them in their ROMs if they weren't on the device by default: XDA Notice: Swype | xda-developers

It was 18 months ago, but as far as I'm aware, their stance hasn't changed.

So what is the story? The apk that was posted (and seems now removed) was:
1. a Swype 'certified' official release
2. a Swype 'certified' beta
3. a modified/hacked version of (1)
4. a modified/hacked version of (2)
5. something else

Will I get in trouble for saying I installed and it works pretty good? However, it came with english and spanish, and I tried to download french, but it just seems to stay queued. Maybe because this isn't officially supported by Swype?

It wasn't official, so the attachment was removed.

As per the devs, if it doesn't come on the phone as standard, or isn't downloaded via their beta program, it's not allowed.

As for having it installed, I wouldn't want something that wasn't officially endorsed by the dev on my handset, just in case.

I just heard again today that the "official" beta update sometime this week will include ICS support.

There are two official versions of Swype:

1. preinstalled on your phone through a license agreement the manufacturer makes.

2. the version supplied by the BETA program which your supposed to enroll in to use legitimately.

there is no "paid" version of Swype you can buy.

Swype(now owned by Nuance the company that makes dragon) has in the past taken strong steps against "modified" APK's of Swype and sites that host them. I haven't really seen that this time around(I don't blame AF at all for removing links though better to be safe), but like I said its kind of mute discussion because the official beta is being released any day.

FYI if you haven't signed up for the BETA I recommend you do so!

The latest version is by FAR the best keyboard I've ever used. It offers predication for "tap" typing, dragon dictation built-in, its full of awesome :P

P.S. I wasn't able to confirm it, but afaik know swype still holds the world for fastest mobile keyboard.

P.S.S. You should use what fits your needs best though :P I'm a swype lover, but everyone's different. That's the thing I love about Android you get to customize to your hearts desire !

If swype had a similar universal copy/paste feature like GO has, I'd be sold. The sliding/swiping is really pretty impressive on this one.

If swype had a similar universal copy/paste feature like GO has, I'd be sold.
If I understand what you're wanting, I'd say "consider yourself sold": Just swype from the Swype key at the bottom-left to the '123' key to its right, and you'll get a complete universal editing keyboard with arrow keys, copy/paste/delete/cut, etc. I use it all the time, despite the improved editing features in ICS. Seems like not everyone is aware this exists? Also, you can now do a 'Swype-C' or 'Swype-V' as a shortcut for copy or paste.

If I understand what you're wanting, I'd say "consider yourself sold": Just swype from the Swype key at the bottom-left to the '123' key to its right, and you'll get a complete universal editing keyboard with arrow keys, copy/paste/delete/cut, etc. I use it all the time, despite the improved editing features in ICS. Seems like not everyone is aware this exists? Also, you can now do a 'Swype-C' or 'Swype-V' as a shortcut for copy or paste.

Now I learned something new.... (off to play with shortcuts)

well... me speaketh too sooneth... very cool feature

swype is indeed very impressive, and may become my new standard!

I would urge anyone who's has not played with Swype in the past year to give another shot before you dismiss it.

90% of the complaints I've seen posted, have no relation to the new versions.

A little help - when typing in exchange email I don't see word suggestions. Also, I can't figure out how to cancel a word correction. I was trying to type ZZ Top just now and it kept defaulting to ZZz.

Edit: Figured it out. Word suggestion only works in portrait mode in email. FlexT9 does the same thing.

Has it been a couple of days yet? I still can't get the official beta working due to "screen size not supported" Any word on this yet guys?

Back
Top Bottom