• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS in July or August

mplevy

Android Expert
HTC posted on their FB page that they plan a July or August release of ICS for us! Here's a link to the HTC page where they have the timeline posted.
Android 4.0 Update Frequently Asked Questions

This goes along with what a co-worker of mine with a T-Bolt heard recently. He was on with VZW tech support because he hadn't gotten any updates in a long time, they conferenced in HTC support and the HTC tech asked if they could push ICS to him. VZW responded that it wasn't ready (proving that the hold up is with Verizon).

I have ICS on my Acer tablet and can't WAIT for it to come to the T-Bolt (no, I can't root).

I know the HTC Thunderbolt folks are pleased with this information. *^▁^*

Android 4.0 and Sense 3.6 should be a nice package.

I wish Verizon wouldn't hold up this update. On the other hand, at least we know we will be getting it. I can hardly wait.

i wouldnt hold my breath for a july or august release. we havent seen any leaks at all yet,its not likely they have a workable release candidate that we havent been leaked.

i wouldnt look for it to be any sooner than late 3rd quarter. no inside info,just my thots. ;)

just like GB,dont look for much of a change in UI,tho this time maybe a slightly newer sense version can be used to speed up the release. tho dont look for it to be 4.0,and realize that htc doesnt like to update sense versions when upgrading android versions unless it has to.

even if it got sense 3.6,the biggest visual change is a 5 spot,remappable launcher with no stupid personalize button :D

Does anyone know what new features ICS will bring?
I'm not sure what specifically will be brought to the TBolt as special features. I know it will get Sense 3.6, if you want to think of that as a new feature. You can see a preview for it here: HTC Sense 3.6 preview -- Engadget. One thing I can tell you I'm looking forward to getting is the customizable dock!

Insofar as ICS itself, hardware acceleration and a lot of under-the-hood changes that should make the phone work even more smoothly. We'll see when we get it. You can check info on ICS itself here: Android 4.0 Platform Highlights | Android Developers

I wouldn't be so fast to dismiss the update timeline, based on the conversation my coworker had (related in the first post). Keep an eye on the forums for the devices that are listed with an earlier release, see when they get the update compared to the posted timeline, that should give us an idea of where we stand for our update.

Back
Top Bottom