• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS is here!!!!

ASUS to upgrade Eee Pad Transformer tablet to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich

ASUS has revealed to Pocket-lint that it intends to upgrade its Eee Pad Transformer tablet to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. The Eee Pad Transformer currently runs Android 3.1 Honeycomb.
According to the source, the convertible tablet will certainly get the upgrade to Android 4.0, but there is no current timeline for it. ASUS also said that the successor to the Transformer, the Eee Pad Transformer 2, will run Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, but it was not clear if it would be launched with it, or upgraded at a later date.
ASUS is the first tablet manufacturer to confirm that its devices will be upgraded to the new Android operating system. If it is able to get the upgrades out fast, it could be the first manufacturer to actually deliver a tablet running Ice Cream Sandwich.
Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich will debut with the Google Galaxy Nexus smartphone next month. Google has said that upgrades to existing devices will come a few weeks after that. Ice Cream Sandwich offers a number of upgrades, and combines the Android 2.3 Gingerbread OS for smartphones with the tablet-ready Android 3.x Honeycomb OS.

Cool. Seems like it should be a pretty easy upgrade. The Transformer is vanilla Honeycomb if I'm not mistaken. It's not like HTC devices where they have to infuse their Sense UI into new updates, or Motorola's Motoblur on theirs.

Good, if ASUS likes keeping me as a customer, they will support their products longer than a week.

Cool. Seems like it should be a pretty easy upgrade. The Transformer is vanilla Honeycomb if I'm not mistaken. It's not like HTC devices where they have to infuse their Sense UI into new updates, or Motorola's Motoblur on theirs.

True but remember that the Honeycomb on our standard AEPT1's is not simply vanilla. Still has a bunch of apps and widgets provided by Asus by default so will take a lil longer than just pushing out ICS. But, defo wont take as long as others with their respective UI's and skins on top :)

well why the hell did you by one then? I really hate it when someone criticises a device when the problem is THEM

Because it was better than my Thinkpad and relief for my carpel tunnel (generally overal better than what I had). No one told me Asus (thought they were a good company) would half ass the software part... i.e. Browser for instance... It's been how long since the TF has been released and it hasn't gotten any better or tried to be fixed... yeah...

Pretty sure if I knew something was bad about a product before hand I wouldn't have bought a lot of things too...

Edit: Better yet the people behind what they are selling tell me it's crap or it won't be good and they won't care about leaving their customers to hang out to dry while they come out with a second product to sucker people in...

er, you know Asus didn't write the OS software? It's Android Honeycomb, by Google.

My browser works just fine, occasional closures, but no worse than the "not responding" errors you see on Windows.

Blaming Asus is pointless. Android 4 is on the way and changes pretty much everything about the OS, maybe you'll prefer that, if not then sell it.

Because it was better than my Thinkpad and relief for my carpel tunnel (generally overal better than what I had). No one told me Asus (thought they were a good company) would half ass the software part... i.e. Browser for instance... It's been how long since the TF has been released and it hasn't gotten any better or tried to be fixed... yeah...

Have you tried using the Opera Mobile browser? I use it as my primary browser on the Eee Pad.

When I decided on getting a tablet, I was deciding between the Eee Pad with better hardware (keyboard dock) or the iPad 2 with better software. I went with the better hardware. I think the iPad 2's browser is better than the Eee Pad's in most respects, but as I do a lot of typing, I went with the device with what I feel has the best keyboard attachment with the tablet.

I've had zero issues with my TF, unlike the three Samsung GT 10.1 I returned. Asus has impressed me with their product and they continue to do so by being the first (?) to announce they will have ICS on their device.

Pulling it back on-topic ...

Will our existing keyboard docks be compatable with the new Prime?

I believe the new tablet itself is a lot thinner, but it would very cool if ASUS were to release an "adaptor", allowing existing owners of the dock to upgrade to the Prime tablet (if they so chose).

I'd love to buy the new Prime, keep my existing dock, then give my TF101 to the kids :D

Pete ;)

that would be a novel idea i guess and would go with the current fashion of 2 conflicting colour tones but somehow i dont think Asus will do that....wasn't it mentioned that they actually make more profit on the dock than the Tablet itself? What I'd potentially like to see is the keyboard being able to talk wirelessly via bluetooth or something to the tablet since it has its own power source (when its not bleeding like crazy!!!! lol)

the scenario im thinking is using just the tablet for normal days use, then when im at home and want to type some thing up, i can leave the tablet in its prop-up case and just type away using the keyboard to a long email in whatever position i fancy...Or!!! hook up the tablet to my telly on HDMI, and i can still use the tablet wirelessly ;)

you know i just suddenly had a bad thought...maybe they're not working on any fixes on the Honeycomb 3.2.1 and waiting for ICS to come out? hmmm...

Cos i want the fix now!!! Lol ok im being impatient....and the issues are a ball ache but guiness would say , good things come to those who wait...

With ICS on the way, there is no way ASUS will expend time and energy to provide bugfixes that will be superceded "within weeks".

The next update will be ICS :D

Pete

Where are they now... many 1000 complaints later on Wifi and GPS issues. Not seen anyone give a good comment on TF- Prime with ICS and we half way through Jan 2012. Playing around with my old mans TF- Prime is enough to make u cry in regards to Wifi being c&^p. He needed it for GPS as well... and never works. They made a mess of this one... we been on to Asus everyday for a month and nothing. Best to hold off till the QUADs are standard as they only as fast as a Dual and I am told only utilize a dual. So why pay more when the Core are hitting far cheaper prices in anticipation of QUAD 2012 year I suspect.

Back
Top Bottom