• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS Update

We'll be really lucky if we get the update in april but dw, we still have may, june and july. We'll taste ics soon i hope :D

We'll be really lucky if we get the update in april but dw, we still have may, june and july. We'll taste ics soon i hope :D

CM9 nightlies are out. This is our best bet for ICS as there is no bloatware. If you want something more stable, have a look at CM7.2 RC2, MIUI V2 or Lewa OS (Lewa works quite well as long as the Victor kernel is flashed as well). These are all Gingerbread ROMs.

Last time I checked there wasn't an official build for this phone model yet. I would love to have CM instead of this garbage software from t-mobile, but the last time I tried a nightly build I realized it was very buggy...
I'm gonna wait on doing any updates at this time.

There are 2 solid release candidates of cyanogenmod 7.2 that are infinitely better than the bloated stock ROM. As for ICS the CM9 nightlies are alpha releases which are bleeding edge however from my own personal experience I can say that the nightly from 13 May was pretty damn good.

Any ICS you get from a t-mo push is going to still be full of bloat. So you can be part of the group testing & helping to improve CM9 or you can wait & wait & wait for a crappy bloated update. The choice is yours.

I'm not against CM, in fact I prefer it... My battery lasted longer, the interface was quicker, so many other perks... But the last time I installed it my speaker stopped working. Since my cell is my only phone and am self employed I rely on a working phone heavily... That is why I am sticking with what works for now... Bloatware and all....

I'm not against CM, in fact I prefer it... My battery lasted longer, the interface was quicker, so many other perks... But the last time I installed it my speaker stopped working. Since my cell is my only phone and am self employed I rely on a working phone heavily... That is why I am sticking with what works for now... Bloatware and all....

Your speaker stopped working because you flashed the E730 ROM instead of the E739 ROM. One must take care to flash the correct ROM for their phone. Often ROMs are written for the E730 (Optimus sol) first and then ported to the E739 as the hardware is very similar. In the very early days of CM7 nightlies there was an additional kernel that was required to make it work on the E739, however this is no longer needed. Currently the best and most stable ROM available for the E739 is CM7.2 RC2. I suspect it will become the release version.

Yeah, you're right, I did. I went to cyanogenmod's website and didn't see any builds specifically for the E739. Do you know where I can find one, and do you know if it includes all the google apps (maps, play store, etc...)?

Yeah, you're right, I did. I went to cyanogenmod's website and didn't see any builds specifically for the E739. Do you know where I can find one, and do you know if it includes all the google apps (maps, play store, etc...)?

To do the following you need to have a rooted phone.

Disclaimer - I am not responsible for anything that you do to your phone.

Before you do anything else get ROM Manager from the Play Store (you may need the full version). Open it, then choose "flash clockworkmod recovery" and select "LG Optimus SOL/TMo LG myTouch". Then choose "Backup Current ROM". This will make a Nandroid backup of your current ROM.
You can also backup your apps using Titanium Backup. Note- if you flash CM9, Google can restore your apps automatically. (CM7.2 is supposed to do it, but it has never worked for me).
Also copy all of your contacts to your SIM card or backup through google. There are apps to save your SMS messages as well if required

Now for the aftermarket ROMs. On Cyanogenmods site alone there are over 30 ROMs for this phone. There is also LEWA OS & MIUI available elsewhere.

For CM 7.2 (Gingerbread based) there are currently 2 release candidates available as well as 2 full versions. I recommend Release Candidate 2 (RC2). There is a known bluetooth bug (they fixed it but forgot to merge before they released it - should be fixed soon), but otherwise is super smooth and pretty damn good. In fact its so good that I UNDERCLOCKED my CPU 20% as my daily driver without any noticeable lag.

If its ICS that you want, then you need to look at CM9. There are nearly 30 nightly builds (alpha release) currently out. The earliest versions were pretty buggy, I am currently running the nightly from 14 May & I like it a lot. I cannot comment for the newer ones as I have not tried them yet.

Both the CM 7.2 & CM9 are available on Cyanogenmods site CyanogenMod Downloads On the LHS of the webpage, select your device (E739). This will now give you a list of the Cyanogenmod ROMs available for this device. Select the ROM you want to download.

You will also need Google Apps (maps, etc). I have found a great app on the Play Store called Goo Manager which enables you to download the Google apps packages as well as downloading ROMs from Cyanogenmod all in one easy app. Download the app, open it, then select "download gapps packages". I am using gapps-gb-20120429-signed.zip. You can also select "Browse compatible ROMs", select "/cm/e739/nightly" and pick a ROM

Once you have both the ROM you want & Google Apps downloaded on to your phone you will then need to reboot into Recovery. You can either use something like QuickBoot (or similar) or do it manually. To do this manually first shut down your phone. Now hold both the Power button & Volume Down Button for 3 seconds. At the 3 second mark let go of the Power button & press both the Menu & Back soft keys (still holding Volume down). This may take a few goes before you get the timing right.

When it boots into recovery you will see a text menu. To navigate the menu use volume up/down to move the cursor & use Power button to select item.

Now do the following: "Wipe data/factory reset", then go to "Advanced" and "Wipe Dalvik Cache" as well as "Wipe battery stats".
Now go "Back", then "Install zip from sdcard". Now navigate to where you downloaded the ROM you want to flash and select it.

When the ROM has completed flashing you need to do the same with the Google Apps you downloaded. Once that is done, select "go back", then "reboot system now".

Your new ROM will boot and will put you into the Google Apps part of the installation. Log in to your google account and follow the instructions it gives you.
Once that is completed, restore your apps (only in the case of CM 7.2 with Titanium Backup - restore apps only, NOT data - it will cause problems)

Next: enjoy your new ROM

Back
Top Bottom