• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'm back to Apple products

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish Android would do the same as iOS then if and when an app crashes. Because if there is one thing I cannot stand is the app telling me the thing stopped when I wished it would crash and burn silently. That being said at least the apps work in my ipad and iPhone. Google+ won't even run period in Android. I am too irked to take a chance and spend a similar price on a flagship android device and have the same problem (and lack of retina display and accepting migraine inducing AMOLED screens again) and then I spent as much as I would on an Apple product and still not getting what I want.

It's not that iOS is better, but it is better for me.

The android ANR notice has to be the most annoying addition to Android, too. In that instance it isn't even a crash, but an annoying alert that cannot be turned off or disabled, that comes up for an app (mostly a game) taking too long to load. That was the most annoying thing I experienced. Either way, a flagship android won't have the games I play which are exclusive to iOS, plus I'd have to live with the watered down ports of Facebook and Netflix...no thanks..

I find it humorous that one knocks Apple iOS for being locked down when you cannot even disable crash notices, ANRs or turn off the low space warning, even if you're rooted. You cannot even prioritize the UI thread to mimic iOS. In addition, the battery life is still a problem, confirmed by a Galaxy S3 user today. She said it lasted longer but still figured 32 hours standby with everything turned off (defeating the purpose of a smartphone in the first place) was good. App badges are nonexistent or broken in Android. Only working for missed calls and sms messages, with buggy support for Facebook or other apps. I liked the badge counters in iOS and hated the cluttered status bar of icons in Android. Not to be insulting but why is Google, who admits to the lag in Android which inspired project butter, trying to 'fx' the problem by slapping multiple cores and tons of RAM, just to get fluid UI transitions which still cannot compare to iOS? What good is the hardware spec if you still feel like you're using a 486? To close an app in Android takes too many steps. Settings, apps, manage apps, select app, force quit. In iOS, double-tap home, hold down the app in the recent list and tap the minus sign. In Android ICS and up, even swiping the app away in a similar menu doesn't close the app. Android is supposed to let the user own and control his device. Yet apps start by themselves like phantoms and waste RAM and I never have control over what runs and don't runs. I have that control in Linux! Isn't Android Linux? Why can't I control which apps run or not? Even the 'quit' option rare as it is doesn't always keep an app closed.

I wish Android would do the same as iOS then if and when an app crashes. Because if there is one thing I cannot stand is the app telling me the thing stopped when I wished it would crash and burn silently. That being said at least the apps work in my ipad and iPhone. Google+ won't even run period in Android. I am too irked to take a chance and spend a similar price on a flagship android device and have the same problem (and lack of retina display and accepting migraine inducing AMOLED screens again) and then I spent as much as I would on an Apple product and still not getting what I want.

It's not that iOS is better, but it is better for me.

Not every android phone is amoled, some are lcd. Retina display is an apple gimmick where screens were initially high ppi compared to android phones, but android phones like the upcoming HTC one and alike will blow it out of the water.

There is not one equal to the retina clarity in the android devices regardless of price range. Bad ripoffs perhaps which I can still see pixels. Even if Android fixes one thing they cannot fix all of them. I can live without force close and wait notices and prefer app counters over cluttered status bars any day. Come on people this started out as a good light hearted topic and now it is starting to turn into a hate thread. Why is it so important that I continue to use Android? Is the whole idea to make Android the only choice? What good is a diverse culture if we all have the same phone? Same OS? Isn't that the same thing you accuse Apple for? Why is it so wrong that I like iOS better? I tried Android. I didn't like it. It frustrated me. Why blow 600 plus on a gamble to have frustration and be out the money? As for the apps running for no reason, before someone again quotes about wasted RAM being a good thing, well, coming from an IT background today that still doesn't make sense. Wasted RAM has been bad since CP/M, to say nothing of why Linux has swap space!

If I am to use Android again, it has a lot to fix. Battery life has to be much improved, at least a few days standby with everything on, the ability to remove ANR and FC alerts, prioritizing the UI, badge counters as an option and the ability to disable notifications hogging the status bar, more games, better quality apps, faster updates, and less, shall we say, fragmentation. In addition the ability to keep apps from auto starting and restarting when killed. A close button. Tons of things that are unlikely to happen...like it or not, to get Apple people to convert, its going to require more than a launcher posing as their familiar iOS desktop. It's going to take a lot more than a launcher I assure you.

There is not one equal to the retina clarity in the android devices regardless of price range. Bad ripoffs perhaps which I can still see pixels. Even if Android fixes one thing they cannot fix all of them. I can live without force close and wait notices and prefer app counters over cluttered status bars any day. Come on people this started out as a good light hearted topic and now it is starting to turn into a hate thread. Why is it so important that I continue to use Android? Is the whole idea to make Android the only choice? What good is a diverse culture if we all have the same phone? Same OS? Isn't that the same thing you accuse Apple for? Why is it so wrong that I like iOS better? I tried Android. I didn't like it. It frustrated me. Why blow 600 plus on a gamble to have frustration and be out the money?

I hear you. No one wants to blow 600 or more on something they're not happy with. There's no doubt that Apple makes a good product, and many people are quite happy with those. I'll be the first to admit that my first couple of android devices were subpar in terms of my experience with them. Battery life was always a complaint of mine, and still is. I would like to know how a 5000 mAh battery was not enough juice for your needs. I wish my phone had an extended that size, but caps at 3800. That is a seriously big battery. :eek:

The only 5000mAh battery existed in a cheap ICS tablet. But it ate it like no tomorrow. I do hear you on subpar Androids, I had one running eclair that I keep as a paperweight next to an opened hard drive. Eclair sucked. What a nightmare. No doubt Android has improved, just not quite there for those like me, yet. For awhile I used a BlackBerry because eclair was THAT bad! I feel sorry for the saps who have S2 phones stuck forever on Froyo or worse, buggy upgraded ROMs which are either nighties or not perfect. Around here AT&T still sells the Galaxy SII running Froyo (but hides it in an ICS style launcher) as a gophone. The s3 was nice, I admit, but it ran gingerbread. A bit old if you ask me.

Believe it or not, there was a time I thought Apple was worse than Microsoft! I had an iMac G3 which crashed so often I swear if I so much as sneered at it, the thing would go Sad Mac on me with the increased annoyance of the sound of breaking glass....now that would be annoying, if Android did the ole Power Mac 600 DUH DUH DUMmm!*Rimshot* Sound for every force close notice...

The only 5000mAh battery existed in a cheap ICS tablet. But it ate it like no tomorrow. I do hear you on subpar Androids, I had one running eclair that I keep as a paperweight next to an opened hard drive. Eclair sucked. What a nightmare. No doubt Android has improved, just not quite there for those like me, yet. For awhile I used a BlackBerry because eclair was THAT bad! I feel sorry for the saps who have S2 phones stuck forever on Froyo or worse, buggy upgraded ROMs which are either nighties or not perfect. Around here AT&T still sells the Galaxy SII running Froyo (but hides it in an ICS style launcher) as a gophone

That makes more sense that it was on a tablet. I do remember those eclair days. :rolleyes: My first Android was a galaxy s1 way back in the day, and the only reason I chose that was because there was no iPhone on Verizon at the time. If you do ever choose to give android a try, I would strongly suggest trying a nexus device. It fixes a couple of the issues you weren't find of: like fragmentation, and ui. The nexus jellybean devices don't lag nearly as bad as other skinned devices do. But in the meantime, I hope your Apple device serves you well :)

There is not one equal to the retina clarity in the android devices regardless of price range.
Just a little FYI. There are multiple Android phones that have a PPI that outclass any iPhone device ever. Take the iPhone 4/4S. PPI of 326, highest ever for iPhone. GS4: 440 PPI. Even my GNex, with a 720p HD display at 4.3 inches (after accounting for optional software buttons) has a PPI of 316. Just saying brother. Android screen tech has well surpassed Apple. And Nexus 10 Tablet has the best screen for a tablet on the market. :)

This wouldn't be my first iPhone by any means. However I found it much improved over my late 3GS which my boss's wife uses still. It has this odd battery discharge glitch I never could figure out, fresh off the charger, on exactly the same day each month that coincided with the day of activation (if say activated on the 15th, each month on the 15th the battery would drain all by itself) the battery discharged its whole capacity to zero in less than an hour. It also ran the subpar iPhone OS 3.0, which while lag free hardly compares with the stability and usability of iOS 6. I've been on and off of Android a lot. Went back to feature phones once during a short technophobe phase where I tried to relive the old days, but being the techno geek, ill always try out Android devices from time to time. What can I say thank goodness for SIM cards!

Apparently ppi isn't enough. I still see pixels. Especially on the Nexus 10 as well as the 7, both have insanely bright AMOLED screens, so the pixels end up showing anyway. My Vita is mothballed for how it was migraine inducing.

This wouldn't be my first iPhone by any means. However I found it much improved over my late 3GS which my boss's wife uses still. It has this odd battery discharge glitch I never could figure out, fresh off the charger, on exactly the same day each month that coincided with the day of activation (if say activated on the 15th, each month on the 15th the battery would drain all by itself) the battery discharged its whole capacity to zero in less than an hour. It also ran the subpar iPhone OS 3.0, which while lag free hardly compares with the stability and usability of iOS 6. I've been on and off of Android a lot. Went back to feature phones once during a short technophobe phase where I tried to relive the old days, but being the techno geek, ill always try out Android devices from time to time. What can I say thank goodness for SIM cards!

Apparently ppi isn't enough. I still see pixels. Especially on the Nexus 10 as well as the 7, both have insanely bright AMOLED screens, so the pixels end up showing anyway. My Vita is mothballed for how it was migraine inducing.
On which devices do you see pixels? Curious if you are referring to devices you own? Because if you've seen a Nexus 10, I'd be amazed that you could actually see pixels. Not flaming, just curious. FWIW, I don't see pixels on my GNex nor my N7.

Store demos. I get all kid in candy store mode when I see tablet/phone demos. The Nexus 10 and 7 both have AMOLED screens, which even on their dimmest setting, remain very, very bright, the nature of OLED pixels makes them pronounced, the colors, very loud. It hardly compares with the soft, eye-friendly, almost e-ink silk of a retina display. OLED pixels are worse though in the Vita handheld, given its much-lower ppi and horridly low resolution. The only thing more eye friendly is the real e-ink, and while black and white only, I can see how they may work for phones given their low power consumption, daylight clarity and all. I don't think OLED screens have backlighting right? The pixels glow on their own? If so perhaps that is how I notice them, plus their loud colors.

I think iOS devices are great and really nice to use. However they are quite expensive and then there's the iTunes requirements, just to get my music and videos onto an iOS device. That is something I don't really wish to be dealing with. Been there done that. I'd rather not be using any device that forces me to use proprietary Windows software to get my content onto my own devices. There are ways around this, but it generally means jailbreaking. That's not satisfactory for my uses.

I find it humorous that one knocks Apple iOS for being locked down when you cannot even disable crash notices, ANRs or turn off the low space warning, even if you're rooted.

Let's see on the Kliton I806 ICS "phablet" I'm looking at now in the developer options I've got. Show all ANRs, yes or no. I've got it as no. Don't keep activities, destroy every activity as soon as the user leaves it, yes or no. I leave it as no. Background process limit, no processes, and various "at the most" options 1, 2, 3, 4 or standard limit. I have it as standard. This is as it came, NOT rooted. My Lenovo phone has the same options as well. That doesn't sound locked down to me. :) Obviously other manufacturers may chose whether to have these features or not. Non of these two phones exhibit any real lag and crashes certainly nothing like what you've described. Quite surprising for the Kliton, given that this is essentially a $100 counterfeit Galaxy Note 2...LOL. And no migraines for me either, given their rather non-retina screens.

You cannot even prioritize the UI thread to mimic iOS. In addition, the battery life is still a problem, confirmed by a Galaxy S3 user today. She said it lasted longer but still figured 32 hours standby with everything turned off (defeating the purpose of a smartphone in the first place) was good. App badges are nonexistent or broken in Android.

App badges, what's that, something to do with Facebook?

To close an app in Android takes too many steps. Settings, apps, manage apps, select app, force quit. In iOS, double-tap home, hold down the app in the recent list and tap the minus sign. In Android ICS and up, even swiping the app away in a similar menu doesn't close the app. Android is supposed to let the user own and control his device. Yet apps start by themselves like phantoms and waste RAM and I never have control over what runs and don't runs. I have that control in Linux! Isn't Android Linux? Why can't I control which apps run or not? Even the 'quit' option rare as it is doesn't always keep an app closed.

Simple, you choose an Android device that is more open, or you can install an open custom ROM if you want. Which is more than can be said for iOS devices, that is you must use them the way Apple dictates, else you have to jailbreak. iOS uses an open source kernel as well, XNU.

You can't compare Android to a fully open desktop GNU/Linux OS like Mint, Ubuntu or Arch anyway. Sure they both use the Linux kernel, but that's it. Would you whine about Sony or Samsung, that any of their Linux kernel OS based devices, like cameras, Blu-ray players and TVs, are not open and that they're completely locked down.

Store demos. I get all kid in candy store mode when I see tablet/phone demos. The Nexus 10 and 7 both have AMOLED screens, which even on their dimmest setting, remain very, very bright, the nature of OLED pixels makes them pronounced, the colors, very loud. It hardly compares with the soft, eye-friendly, almost e-ink silk of a retina display. OLED pixels are worse though in the Vita handheld, given its much-lower ppi and horridly low resolution. The only thing more eye friendly is the real e-ink, and while black and white only, I can see how they may work for phones given their low power consumption, daylight clarity and all. I don't think OLED screens have backlighting right? The pixels glow on their own? If so perhaps that is how I notice them, plus their loud colors.
N7 has an IPS LCD :)
FsAtb86.png

Edit: Android uses a Just In Time (JIT) compiler to manage RAM needs and has done so since 2.2 Froyo. Far too many people think of RAM usage in Android as one would with any other platform; this is a disservice to Android.

Android manages RAM on an as needed basis. With ICS and JB phones, this RAM management is even more sophisticated than in Froyo, Gingerbread and even Honeycomb. You can experience your devices as if it is not running out of RAM because it isn't. As an Android device multitasks, apps and processes are killed accordingly and properly.

In iOS, apps and processes (such as downloads) will pause to ensure a smooth experience. The difference is that an Android device will never pause something to run something else and can get more done by virtue of freeing the proper resources to have as many moving parts as possible. This is in contrast to the iOS device that will stop apps/processes when overloaded on the processor end to ensure a smooth experience, resulting in a compromised true multitasking experience. Both OS's can switch apps elegantly...only Android can multitask.

:D:beer::)

N7 has an IPS LCD :)
FsAtb86.png

Edit: Android uses a Just In Time (JIT) compiler to manage RAM needs and has done so since 2.2 Froyo. Far too many people think of RAM usage in Android as one would with any other platform; this is a disservice to Android.

Android manages RAM on an as needed basis. With ICS and JB phones, this RAM management is even more sophisticated than in Froyo, Gingerbread and even Honeycomb. You can experience your devices as if it is not running out of RAM because it isn't. As an Android device multitasks, apps and processes are killed accordingly and properly.

In iOS, apps and processes (such as downloads) will pause to ensure a smooth experience. The difference is that an Android device will never pause something to run something else and can get more done by virtue of freeing the proper resources to have as many moving parts as possible. This is in contrast to the iOS device that will stop apps/processes when overloaded on the processor end to ensure a smooth experience, resulting in a compromised true multitasking experience. Both OS's can switch apps elegantly...only Android can multitask.

:D:beer::)

Nexus 10 is IPS LCD as well and 2560x1600 on a ten inch device, definitely "retina" class. NOT AMOLED. These are the ones to compare to the iPads, not some budget thing that was shovelled together in an anonymous backstreet sweat-shop in Shenzhen. :D:rolleyes:

MikeDT, that ANR option just disables some, but not all. The Dev option is to either show all, (including background process ANRs) or show some, by no means is there any way to disable the whole lot of them...they are uninformative and very annoying, constantly coming up delaying the already too long launch time for a game. Like the Sad Mac of yesterdecade, annoying. Like Clippy asking me something like 'it looks like this app is slow, would you like to close it?' Yeah I know its slow its a bloody 3D game so go away! Quit telling me the obvious!

ANRs cannot be disabled fully. This defines locked down. Apps run whether I want them to or not, that doesn't give me control over the apps. I never ever felt comfortable with turning control over apps to the entire OS. I own the device but had no control over apps running or closing, this is something that is possible inside iOS. Not android, as Android, not me, does as it pleases whether I want it to or not, this is bad design no matter what you or Google says. This is partly why even devices with quad-cores and gigs of RAM lag. Used ram with none available and endless caching of java, an antiquated technology that deserves to die along with adobe flash, lags a machine, be it a Linux, windows, or Mac box.
Even in Linux I can close Firefox. In android the browser runs in the background, why? I don't know! An exit button, that's not a hard request. If android is so custom, why can't I do what I want with it? Or is the customization limited to aesthetics like launchers and widgets these days? So much for being under the hood. Can't control which apps run or don't run, which ones autostart, and cannot even disable crash or wait notices....

I still cannot get over the huge screen hogging virtual keys in jelly bean, so ugly...

I would never turn over the control of my home to GlaDOS, so why would I turn over app control to Android? Apps running is my decision, not Google's.

'App badges' are the little red counters that show exactly, per-app how many notifications in said app are unread. In email, if you have three unread emails, a red 3 shows to the upper right of the email app you use. Certainly more organized than the many gmail icons flooding the Android status bar...when you check a notification in your status bar, whether you read it or not, the notification vanishes, if it remains unread in iOS, the unread count remains. It is a convenience I wish Android had from the beginning personally, and while custom launchers include at least partial function in this regard, they still need the icon in the status bar to use as a count reference, so then you got redundant alerts, one counter for the app and a redundant icon flooding the status bar. Also, it is limited, seems to have limited app support, and sometimes Androids wacky memory manager kills the service, so you never get unread counts, one service I would WANT running in background.

MikeDT, that ANR option just disables some, but not all. The Dev option is to either show all, (including background process ANRs) or show some, by no means is there any way to disable the whole lot of them...they are uninformative and very annoying, constantly coming up delaying the already too long launch time for a game. Like the Sad Mac of yesterdecade, annoying. Like Clippy asking me something like 'it looks like this app is slow, would you like to close it?' Yeah I know its slow its a bloody 3D game so go away! Quit telling me the obvious!

ANRs cannot be disabled fully. This defines locked down. Apps run whether I want them to or not, that doesn't give me control over the apps. I never ever felt comfortable with turning control over apps to the entire OS. I own the device but had no control over apps running or closing, this is something that is possible inside iOS. Not android, as Android, not me, does as it pleases whether I want it to or not, this is bad design no matter what you or Google says. This is partly why even devices with quad-cores and gigs of RAM lag. Used ram with none available and endless caching of java, an antiquated technology that deserves to die along with adobe flash, lags a machine, be it a Linux, windows, or Mac box.
Even in Linux I can close Firefox. In android the browser runs in the background, why? I don't know! An exit button, that's not a hard request. If android is so custom, why can't I do what I want with it? Or is the customization limited to aesthetics like launchers and widgets these days? So much for being under the hood. Can't control which apps run or don't run, which ones autostart, and cannot even disable crash or wait notices....

I still cannot get over the huge screen hogging virtual keys in jelly bean, so ugly...

I would never turn over the control of my home to GlaDOS, so why would I turn over app control to Android? Apps running is my decision, not Google's
Glad you are loving your iOS experience. More power to you good sir. Thank you for explaining your Android experience. I am sure it will be helpful for some users. That is the goal in these forums. Have a nice evening.

The android ANR notice has to be the most annoying addition to Android, too. In that instance it isn't even a crash, but an annoying alert that cannot be turned off or disabled, that comes up for an app (mostly a game) taking too long to load. That was the most annoying thing I experienced.

I can completely disable ANR's on my wife's Asus Transformer Infinity, in the settings under developer options. That's on the stock 4.1.1 JB ROM. No doubt I have that ability BECAUSE it's a flagship device from ASUS. :)

I'd show a pic, but she's busy with the tablet. I might be able to throw up a screenshot with the option sometime tomorrow, while she's at work.

-edit-
Ah, missed where you said you saw the ANR option already. Ok, good. It's disabled. There's still the possibility where whoever compiled the ROM gimped that options power compared to a proper flagship device ROM. Heck, the TF Infinity only has 1GB of RAM and STILL, hasn't run into memory crunching issues, even when I have it running new games like, say, the Conduit HD at max settings. Or running PS1/n64/PSP emulators, for that matter.

I wasn't talking about the web browser, but the jelly bean having those huge virtual keys for home, back and recent apps. They cannot be disabled at least I couldn't do much aside make them transparent but their bar still hogged real estate. The pie would make a Better virtual setup since it only shows for a certain gesture and vanishes when not used

Joel, that would be interesting if its not the same Dev option Mike mentioned, which just toggles showing ANRs for background and foreground, or foreground only.

Hey nick good for you, I dont have time to care what phone you use or what kind of car you drive..

So I hope you get the best out of your iPhone

I wasn't talking about the web browser, but the jelly bean having those huge virtual keys for home, back and recent apps. They cannot be disabled at least I couldn't do much aside make them transparent but their bar still hogged real estate
Virtual keys came in Honeycomb. Screenshot is from ICS. Same applies in JB. Screenshot was taken in Tapatalk. Notice the lack of Nav bar. Notice the LMT Launcher app providing Nav bar via bezel gesture, customized via said app. The Pie Control to which your are referring in the screenshot I posted is not from the AOSP browser but from the LMT Launcher app. On top of that, the stock browser does not disable the Nav bar. Only a mod does.

Thank you sir.

jmar

I would never turn over the control of my home to GlaDOS, so why would I turn over app control to Android? Apps running is my decision, not Google's.

'App badges' are the little red counters that show exactly, per-app how many notifications in said app are unread. In email, if you have three unread emails, a red 3 shows to the upper right of the email app you use. Certainly more organized than the many gmail icons flooding the Android status bar...when you check a notification in your status bar, whether you read it or not, the notification vanishes, if it remains unread in iOS, the unread count remains. It is a convenience I wish Android had from the beginning personally, and while custom launchers include at least partial function in this regard, they still need the icon in the status bar to use as a count reference, so then you got redundant alerts, one counter for the app and a redundant icon flooding the status bar. Also, it is limited, seems to have limited app support, and sometimes Androids wacky memory manager kills the service, so you never get unread counts, one service I would WANT running in background.

I never see ANRs, even on the budget Chinese devices I've got. I said the tablet lags and has awful battery life. But then that thing really is a POS, and is only good for watching movies in bed I've found. Ampe is supposed to be a reputable manufacturer...LOL!

Perhaps it's the certain apps or combination of apps you're using, I don't know. The apps I do use seem very stable and this is some Chinese apps as well. Thing is I want the browser be able to run in the background, so I can quickly switch to it if needed. Without having to wait for it to load and re-download the pages. But that's personal preference.

BTW did you know on Apple's OS X, software doesn't automatically close when you click the little red boiled candy buttons? They actually go into the background. Unlike on Windows, you hit the X the application exits completely. But that's a different way of working, some people like it, some people might hate it. I truly detest Windows 8's new Metro UI, but again this is personal preference, what works for one person, another might hate it. Put it this way I don't want every app running full screen on my twenty-eight inch monitor, and no way to window them, but that's what Windows 8 Metro UI apps do.

Can't really comment about JB. All my devices are ICS, and I'm happy with that actually.

Anyway if Android hasn't worked out for you. I might see you over in the iSource forums one day, Phandroid's sister site. ;) Good luck with iTunes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom