• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I'm rooted, now what?

BrianJB

Android Enthusiast
Hey everyone, I've read through the rooting for dummies thread, which actually helped me get rooted (thank you!) I rooted using unrevoked. I got titanium backup, and rom manager. I've froze a few bloatware apps and moved some larger apps to sd.

Now I've heard that I should do a "nandroid backup", does anyone have a walkthrough they could write up? Or a video on how to do it? I see on rom manager there is an option to backup current rom, but I've heard some people have had issues using rom manager to do so.

Do I have to do anything special before backing up my stock rom? Should I unfreeze all bloatware apps before doing so? Do I have to do a dalvik wipe?. And also I wanted to flash the custom kernel for the "full hdmi" app, can I flash that kernel while still using my stock rooted rom? Or do I need a custom rom also?

Sorry I'm so new at this, and I don't wanna mess up my baby.

Thanks everyone!

Hey everyone, I've read through the rooting for dummies thread, which actually helped me get rooted (thank you!) I rooted using unrevoked. I got titanium backup, and rom manager. I've froze a few bloatware apps and moved some larger apps to sd.

Now I've heard that I should do a "nandroid backup", does anyone have a walkthrough they could write up? Or a video on how to do it? I see on rom manager there is an option to backup current rom, but I've heard some people have had issues using rom manager to do so.

Do I have to do anything special before backing up my stock rom? Should I unfreeze all bloatware apps before doing so? Do I have to do a dalvik wipe?. And also I wanted to flash the custom kernel for the "full hdmi" app, can I flash that kernel while still using my stock rooted rom? Or do I need a custom rom also?

Thanks everyone!

Download quick boot from the market
Open it up, hit recovery ( your phone will boot to recovery)
Go to nandroid
Do a backup
Reboot phone

No need to do anything to your stock rom, just do a nandroid and then keep a safe copy of the nandroid on your computer;)

Do not wipe anything before making a nandroid

To use the HDMwIn app, you will need to flash the kernel. But to flash a kernel you will need to flash a custom rom. The rom that's in my sig is a good rom. I also have the HDMwIn kernel in the sig

Thanks everyone!

Congrats on rooting! To answer you questions, no, you don't have to unfreeze any apps you froze w/ TB to make a nandroid, and you'll also find instructions on how to perform a nand backup in the ROOTING For Dummies + Extra's sticky that helped you root. Check out section 3 in the "Rooting & Backup" part of the guide, it'll give you a step by step.

Awesome, thank you both! Its just one of those things id rather be overkill on knowledge than underkill.

Back