• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Images and Files deleting overnight

danb87

Lurker
Morning

On each of the last 3 days I have woken up to find my phone has deleted all images and files.

If I check Gallery all images and videos have gone, if I go into my files and to the relevant folder they are not there either. This includes all downloaded files.
The only way I appear to still be able to see the images is if it's something been sent via WhatsApp going back into the chat and clicking the image to download it again.

I had not downloaded any new apps prior to this. I've tried device maintenance and running scans with no threats found, I've since downloaded AVG on my phone and also got no threats found.

Any suggestions?

Phone Samsung Galaxy s10+
Software Android 9
Please let me know if you need anymore info.

Thanks in advance.

How are you saving these images?
Are you sure your looking in the correct folder?
Instead of using the my files app, install a different file manager and use that to find the images.
Some image formats will not display so make sure they are .jpg extensions...

Hi Danny, these can be anything and everything. Photos I've taken on the camera, images sent and received via WhatsApp, files I've downloaded, everything is disappearing each night.
If I check the camera folder its empty, WhatsApp folder has lost all media sent and received, and the same for downloaded files in the downloads folder.
It's definitely not a matter of I'm looking in the wrong sections/folders as this is where they were saved previously. I've also not created any folders of my own and they are all what is created automatically by the phone and/or apps.

Doesnt appear to be as I'm not logged into any sort of cloud. That was my original thought but even then they shouldn't disappear should they? Just make a back up?

All files as far as I can tell have disappeared. Everything from my downloads folder so I think its everything.

I haven't done a factory reset at all as I've only had the phone about 6 weeks with it being the s10+.

are the downloads being saved onto the sd card? if you connect your phone to the pc, are they there? does your pc even see the card?

Do you have a file cleaner on your device that's improperly set up. If so that may be the problem if it's set to auto clean and file locations is not implemented on which file need to be cleaned.

There is no SD card on the phone and no file cleaner. I have just done a factory reset and will check again in the morning.

Until you said no SD card I was going to blame it on a counterfeit mis-named capacity card. I had one of those and it looked like it was working from the PC side but it turned out to be a counterfeit Samsung 64GB card that only had 2GB of storage.

Back
Top Bottom