• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

IMAP syncing problem with gmail from cyanogenMod 12 mail client

I installed CyanogenMod 12 on my 1st generation Moto G. The IMAP settings for gmail are pretty clear from the web: http://oit.ncsu.edu/email/google-email-mobile-phones-android-os http://support.google.com/mail/answer/114408

However, I don't want auto sync, so I set it to Never. I want to sync manually. I haven't been able to find online how to initiate a manual sync. I do know that whenever I go to a box other than Inbox (e.g., Sent box), I see the one email I ever sent from the smartphone, and the spinning wheel that ever seems to stop. If I go into Trash, I see the one message I ever deleted from the phone, and the perpetually spinning wheel. I thought that they were the local Sent and Trash, so I tried to look in [Gmail], but an Internal Error (which I reported via the appropriately marked button) and the spinning wheel.

Is there a way to manually initiate a sync? What can I do to troubleshoot the Internal Error? I haven't been able to find anything like this on Google, but I'm not sure if I'm searching the right terms. It would help if someone could explain whether the email client is an Android app or a CM special app.

Thanks.

So *that* is why I get a spinning circle when I bump up against the top when panning. Thanks!

As for what app I'm using...that's what I meant by the default email client in CM 12. I don't know if the native client is the same as for stock Android, or if either/both are the same as any separately installable email app offered by Google.

Upvote 0
When you say Aquamail, is that the client on stock CM12? Is it the same client as stock Android?

I've looked around all over the place for something that looks like a manual sync button, but haven't found anything. When you say "open it", are you saying that the button show be shown on the very first panel that pops up after clicking on the email client? What does it look like?

I'm wondering if they done away with a sync button in CM12 (it's my first smartphone and my first use of a smartphone email client, so I don't know what it was like in the past). Perhaps AMDXP's description of swiping down on the message list is currently *the* way of sync'ing?

Upvote 0
Thanks, Crash damage. I think I'll stick with the stock CM12. I'm very predisposed to keeping "the system" lean, at least for now. The native email app seems to be working for me now. It's just got a few quirky behaviours, like perpetual spinning wheel on some mailboxes until I exit and return to them. Also, as I described, the [gmail] subfolder does contain the typical folders that I see on gmail, but in addition to them, there is an additional entry on the list with the label "Internal errors". It doesn't prevent me from descending into the other folders.

I tried the suggestion above of emptying the trash. There are 2 such folders, 1 at the top level & one in the [gmail] folder. The former is empty. For both, it's not obvious how to empty the trash folder.

Afternote: Searching email for key words also seems to problematic. Spinning wheel infiniteum.
If anyone knows the answer, I'd still be curious whether the native email client in CM12 is just the one from stock Android.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones