• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root In Need Of Help Rooting UK unlocked SE Xperia Play.

Windowlicker

Lurker
Feb 18, 2010
Hi!
I'm thinking about rooting my Sony Ericsson R800i Xperia Play, but am unsure about how to proceed.
I've searched the internet and all I can find is guides on rooting U.S Verizon versions. I'm not sure if I should just follow one of these guides and hope for the best or if I need different software.
From what I understand it'll be a bit more difficult than normal because I have 2.3.4 installed and I think I need to roll it back to 2.3.3. I found this video on Youtube which shows me how to do it, but it only provides links for the U.S Verizon firmware.
How To Root Xperia Play 2.3.4 R800x (Verizon) - YouTube
Would the firmware for a U.K unlocked Xperia Play be any different? If so, where could I download it from? I can't seem to find anything explicitly labelled as U.K firmware :thinking:
I think I need to use FlashTool and SuperOneClick (at least that's what the Youtube video is telling me). Are these both good programs to use? Or is this video already outdated? Is there still the need to roll back the firmware?
Also is it worth installing a custom ROM? Or would official firmware that's been rooted give enough improvement?

Sorry about all the questions but I really want to make sure I get it right! Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones