• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

+ in voicemail cause issues

jdwheli

Lurker
Mar 4, 2011
Ok this is really annoying. When I receive voicemails it will add a plus in front of the number and some numbers are like they are broken apart ( see attached pic). When I click on the voicemail and finish listening to my message I will try to click call from within the VM app, well it gives an error about international calls. So I have to edit the number and remove the + symbol from the beginning before I can call the number. I tried clearing the app cache and I uninstalled the latest update for the phone app. Rebooted and it worked and looked correct until I rebooted and it's back to the same old thing. And could never get it working again.I have cricket as my provider. Could it be an issue with them? The cricket voicemail app works fine but I like the Google one better I want to use it if possible. Oh and the 606-336 number is a local number so why does it keep putting a + in front of it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210603-162423.png
    Screenshot_20210603-162423.png
    1 MB · Views: 195
+ is a shortcut for the international dialling prefix (better than using the actual prefix because that varies between countries, so if you explicitly want put whatever numbers you add for an international call when in the US it wouldn't work if you were travelling elsewhere, while + does). So that is why you get the message about international calls.

But why it is being added, and why only + and not +1 (which would mean "US number") I don't know. I have a Pixel 2 (android 11) but my Google dialer doesn't have a "voicemail" tab in the first place, so that suggests there may be some carrier-dependence in this app.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On my Pixel 5 on Google Fi here in the US, both the Voicemail and Recents tabs show numbers with the (correct) '+1' prefix.

Try opening the Phone app, tapping the three-dot menu button at the top right, then navigating to Settings > Assisted dialing. You may want to check to confirm that Assisted Dialing is enabled and that the Default Home Country has been correctly selected.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones