• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Incoming calls only showing number.

SONE9

Nov 21, 2010
Recently bought the x10 and I am still getting used to it. One thing I have noticed is that when a caller not on my list is calling, I only see the number. When I plop my sim back into my old shitty LG VU, I can once again see the number and the name registered to it. Is this an x10 thing?

I know with Rogers Call Display (the number) and Name Display (the name!) are two separate things.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you cannot have name display without call display.

And they charge you $8/month for that! I don't know if it includes both call & name display...

So basically, if you have Call display without Name Display, and the name is not in your phone, you won't see it. If you have both, no matter who calls you you'll get both the number and the name.

Upvote 0
I do have both, hence why in my OP I stated it works fine in my LG VU.

EDIT: Some rogers guy said android just doesn't offer it, but I don't know if that has any truth to it or not.

There could be some truth to that. I have an old Rogers BB Data Value Pack which has:
500 MB for e-mail, IM, browsing
Call Display with Name Display
Enhanced Voicemail
10,000 sent Text Messages
10,000 Picture/Video Messages
WhoCalledTM

I get call display on my x10 where number shows, but no name unless that person is already in my phone book. I remember my previous phones, like BB or win mobile would show the name.

So maybe it is an Android limitation.

Upvote 0
I do have both, hence why in my OP I stated it works fine in my LG VU.
But you also state that the contacts aren't in your list, which I assume you're referring to the phone book?
I remember my previous phones, like BB or win mobile would show the name.
So maybe it is an Android limitation.
Am I missing something here. If a total stranger rings me today, why is the name of the person calling going to show up if I don't have their name and number stored in my phonebook?

Upvote 0
Am I missing something here. If a total stranger rings me today, why is the name of the person calling going to show up if I don't have their name and number stored in my phonebook?

I think they're expecting it to work like it does on a regular phone (landline) where if the number is listed in the phonebook (as in the physical phonebook not what is on your phone), the name and number are displayed.

Though with this phone (and on my W580i, maybe it's a SE thing?), it will only show the number unless a) the number has been marked as unknown/private or b)that number is already stored on my phone in which case the name and number will show up.

Upvote 0
But you also state that the contacts aren't in your list, which I assume you're referring to the phone book?

Yes that is exactly what I was referring to. If someone I didn't have on my list called me on my old phone named AWESOME MAN, it would come up as

MAN, AWESOME
XXX-XXX-XXXX

I'm just curious as to how a phone with more features doesn't have this.

Upvote 0
Yes that is exactly what I was referring to. If someone I didn't have on my list called me on my old phone named AWESOME MAN, it would come up as

MAN, AWESOME
XXX-XXX-XXXX

I'm just curious as to how a phone with more features doesn't have this.

That is correct.
I guess some people are confused because maybe their mobile operator doesn't offer Name display in addition to call display.

But regardless like I stated before. On my other devices, even names that weren't in my phone book, the name and number of the caller showed up on my screen.

Upvote 0
I think they're expecting it to work like it does on a regular phone (landline) where if the number is listed in the phonebook (as in the physical phonebook not what is on your phone), the name and number are displayed.

Though with this phone (and on my W580i, maybe it's a SE thing?), it will only show the number unless a) the number has been marked as unknown/private or b)that number is already stored on my phone in which case the name and number will show up.

It's not available in the UK at all, which is probably why we thought SONE9 was raving.......

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones