• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incoming notification causes device to change orientation from portrait to landscape

galapogos

Feb 2, 2010
Hi,

I've been noticing for a very long time that my Nexus 5 sometimes switches orientation from portrait to landscape when I receive an incoming notification. I can't remember the specifics, but here's a very specific case that just happened a few minutes ago.

My phone was on the table in portrait mode. I was using it when I received a whatsapp message. Immediately my phone switched to landscape mode, thereby interrupting my usage.

Can't remember whether it happened for non-whatsapp notifications, nor if it happens when the phone is actually held vertically.

I've tried googling for this problem but I seem to be the only one? Does anyone else experience this problem?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones