• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Infrastructure wireless tethering with encryption :D

Kamel

Jul 16, 2011
First and foremost, all of this information is taken from other sources, it's just the recipe for putting the pieces together the right way. Hroark, shabbypenguin, necrotoxin and many others are the ones who did all the work.

I don't know what steps are necessary and aren't, so I will just post exactly what I did.

1) Install CWM & Cyanogen mod from http://androidforums.com/galaxy-pre...-1-0-prevail-unofficial-beta-v2d-11-06-a.html
2) Install latest hotfix (Beta 2D Hot Fix B at the time of writing)
3) Install google apps (probably not a necessary step but it's what I did)
4) Change application settings to allow installation of programs from outside sources
5) Install Wireless Tether BETA 6 wifi_tether_v3_1-beta6.apk from the website Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting (version here is crucial... beta 6 is the latest version as of writing)
6) Follow this guide >> http://androidforums.com/galaxy-pre...2451-wireless-tether-infrastructure-mode.html
7) Check the box "Enable Wifi-encryption" and optionally change channel, ssid, and passphrase options (I am not using auto-channel, haven't had a chance to test if it works)

It's working!

A few notes, you guys may be wondering why I'm writing this if it's "already been done". Using shabbymod or default rom, tethering only seems to work without encryption enabled and is very finicky, you have to reboot the phone each time you want to start it again etc. Now, you don't have to reboot the phone and the encryption works flawlessly.

Final note, this may have been due to an update to wireless tether as well, but I believe beta 6 was the version I was using in my stock-rooted phone before.

Please let me know your feedback, if you got it to work. Maybe those with stock rom can check if it's working there as well (requires root access).

Reactions: The~Skater~187
First and foremost, all of this information is taken from other sources, it's just the recipe for putting the pieces together the right way. Hroark, shabbypenguin, necrotoxin and many others are the ones who did all the work.

I don't know what steps are necessary and aren't, so I will just post exactly what I did.

1) Install CWM & Cyanogen mod from http://androidforums.com/galaxy-pre...-1-0-prevail-unofficial-beta-v2d-11-06-a.html
2) Install latest hotfix (Beta 2D Hot Fix B at the time of writing)
3) Install google apps (probably not a necessary step but it's what I did)
4) Change application settings to allow installation of programs from outside sources
5) Install Wireless Tether BETA 6 wifi_tether_v3_1-beta6.apk from the website Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting (version here is crucial... beta 6 is the latest version as of writing)
6) Follow this guide >> http://androidforums.com/galaxy-pre...2451-wireless-tether-infrastructure-mode.html
7) Check the box "Enable Wifi-encryption" and optionally change channel, ssid, and passphrase options (I am not using auto-channel, haven't had a chance to test if it works)

It's working!

A few notes, you guys may be wondering why I'm writing this if it's "already been done". Using shabbymod or default rom, tethering only seems to work without encryption enabled and is very finicky, you have to reboot the phone each time you want to start it again etc. Now, you don't have to reboot the phone and the encryption works flawlessly.

Final note, this may have been due to an update to wireless tether as well, but I believe beta 6 was the version I was using in my stock-rooted phone before.

Please let me know your feedback, if you got it to work. Maybe those with stock rom can check if it's working there as well (requires root access).

Nah, something in CM7 made it so I don't need reboot each time as well. IDK what but I know it is from CM7 because I'm on the same version that I used on stock and Shabbymod.

Upvote 0
Were you able to use WPA (or any) encryption prior to installing cm7? I was unable to until I installed cm7

Yes, I was able to use WPA prior to CM7, but prior to CM7 I randomly got phone reboots while tethering and if I disabled Tether in the conventional way(Clicking the widget or shutting it off in the app itself) I had to reboot my phone before it would actually enable hotspot again.

Since CM7, not one issue with WiFi Tether.

Upvote 0
@Kamel, nice job figuring it out for CM7. I'm not on CM otherwise I would have attempted to figure it out there.

@everyone else, If you're having problems stopping the tether and re-enabling it, once you turn off tethering (via the app) go to (from the home screen) settings -> wireless and networks /turn your wifi on then off and you should be able to reenable tethering again. Sometimes you may have to click wifi 3 times (don't ask me why cuz I don't know)

Were you able to use WPA (or any) encryption prior to installing cm7? I was unable to until I installed cm7

I've never had an issue using encryption, I'm actually writing this from an EE14, Shabbymod 0.9, Hroark kernel, WPA2 encrypted tether.

Upvote 0
@everyone else, If you're having problems stopping the tether and re-enabling it, once you turn off tethering (via the app) go to (from the home screen) settings -> wireless and networks /turn your wifi on then off and you should be able to reenable tethering again. Sometimes you may have to click wifi 3 times (don't ask me why cuz I don't know)

That is what I was doing prior to CM7, to shut it off I just enabled and disabled WiFi. Since CM7, i can enable/disable/re-enable no problem :D I also haven't had a single reboot since.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones