• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Installing a .tgz file

Ninthwonder

I have one that I want to intall but can't seem to figure it out... still new to rooting so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.... thanks in advance

1. make sure the file is on the root of your sdcard (not in any folders)

2. reboot into recovery mode (either by powering on while holding x, or using the reboot recovery command at a root command line)

3. navigate all the way down to install, then the last option (install rom from sdcard, or something like that)

I gave that a try, but it doesn't show as an option. Just 2.05 shows up. I wanted to try the 2.06. It's not in a folder, so I must be doing something wrong. The extension on my is .rom.tgz.tar Is that what it's supposed to be?

I believe you have to have a newer version of SPRecovery to install TGZ files. 99.2 or 99.3, one of them added that option where I do not believe it was available before.

I gave that a try, but it doesn't show as an option. Just 2.05 shows up. I wanted to try the 2.06. It's not in a folder, so I must be doing something wrong. The extension on my is .rom.tgz.tar Is that what it's supposed to be?

That extension sounds messed up to be honest. .tgz is basically a zipped tarball (tar.gz). Just for fun, remove that last tar on there and try it with the extension as just .tgz

I got rid of the .tar as recommended and viola, it works fine. I noticed the new boot animation, but thats about it. Is there a changelog somewhere?

Since the sholes mod updater was down i was a bit scared to update from 2.03 to the newest 2.06. I tried the manual method, i selected install and then there were 3 options after that choose rom from sd card, allow update zip install and install /sdcard/updatezip. at first i choose choose rom from sd card which sounded right, i selected 2.06 and it acted like it installed but never did. Then i tried again but choose the 3rd option as previously stated (install/sdcard/update.zip. Its really taking a long time, i hope i did not screw anything up, im worried now, i should have read more before i tried to do this manually.

Back
Top Bottom