• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[International / GSM] Problem setting up android sdk

otter

I just can't get the sdk installed. I tried on 2 different computers. One was w/ Vista, and oneis w/ Win XP and am following the instructions from here:

Howto: Install the Android SDK - CyanogenMod Wiki

I have a problem w/ this step. I unzip the file to the root of my C drive and then :
4. When you launch the SDK Manager for the first time it will ask for which packages to install. The only package we are concerned with at this time is "Android SDK Tools, revision 15", "Android SDK Platform-tools, revision 9" & "Google USB Driver package, revision 4". You can reject all the others if you are not interested in them.

It just opens a black DOS window and then closes. I have no chance to select anything. Is it installed? Can I move on?

Thank you!! That's a start! Unfortunately it asks for a password and I sure as heck never setup a password on this or any other computer. Any way to get around that?

Ouch. No I dont.

I don't have a password and it never asks me for one...

Do you need a password to logon to windows? I am assuming you dont....

Ask someone if there is a password?

Well I decided to try it on the other computer that has vista and I ran as administrator but the same thing happened :-(

When I do it, it pops up User Account Control, do you want to allow this program to make changes etc.....

That one doesnt have a password either?

Ouch. No I dont.

I don't have a password and it never asks me for one...

Do you need a password to logon to windows? I am assuming you dont....

Ask someone if there is a password?

There is indeed a password needed to login to win on my winxp machine. I tried that password and it didn't work. I also rebooted into safe mode on that machine as admin instead of the "username" and STILL got the black box w/ nothing happening. I don't get asked if I'd like to make changes to anything.

On the vista machine if I right click and run as admin I just get the black dos box popup and then it disappears

There is indeed a password needed to login to win on my winxp machine. I tried that password and it didn't work. I also rebooted into safe mode on that machine as admin instead of the "username" and STILL got the black box w/ nothing happening. I don't get asked if I'd like to make changes to anything.

On the vista machine if I right click and run as admin I just get the black dos box popup and then it disappears

edit: sigh, I just logged added a password to the admin account and ran as admin on the xp machine and the same thing happened. I must have done something wrong someplace? It's on the root of my C: drive for sure. What could the problem be?

OK seriously now, what the **** is going on?!??!? I am on yet a THIRD different computer and this one is running Win7!!!! So I've tried Vista, XP and now Win7. I installed the samsung driver on my computer that was linked in the droid life article. I then went here:

Howto: Install the Android SDK - CyanogenMod Wiki

and installed the "latest" sdk and as he suggested used the .zip file. I extracted it to the root of my c drive (then later moved it to the desktop and tried it there). I ran the sdk manager as administrator. The window popped up asking me if I was sure and I said yes, then the firewall popped up so I also said yes, but then when it didn't work I shutdown the firewall.

AGAIN I got a small, fast black screen and that's it......is that all I'm supposed to get or is there something else? I thought there would be some options as what to install. Is there a different sdk I should use? Am I being punked?

Are you sure it's not installed?

Check C:\Program Files\ - see if an Android directory exists. It'll be C:\Program Files (x86)\ if you've got a 64 bit machine.

mine is doing the same thing, camand prompt opens for a second and closes
before I can do anything.
two different machines one mac one pc running vista.

mine is doing the same thing, camand prompt opens for a second and closes
before I can do anything.
two different machines one mac one pc running vista.

I'm glad someone else is having the same problem....well not glad but misery loves company. I've been trying to get this going for 3 days and unfortunately nobody can help and you're the only other person I've heard of that has the same problem and I've been searching the internet. If I find a fix I'll post it here so you get it and I would appreciate if you did that same. Good luck

Hey guys, I was having the same headache when i was setting up my sdk folder too and I found that i had not downloaded Java JDK which the sdk manager needs to run. The instructions like to leave this detail out.

Here is the link Java SE JDK 6u25 Download

you have to click accept license agreement to download it but after that you are looking for the last two on the list just below the agreement. Windows x84 is for 32 bit Windows and Windows x64 is for 64 bit Windows so pick the appropriate one for your OS.

After you download and install the JDK run the SDK manager again and the CMD prompt will flash like it did for you before but a new window for the SDK downlaods will open you can go back to following the directions from there to finish unlocking.

Hope this helps

Edit: once you download Java JDK you should be able to run SDK manager normally and have to run it as the Admin for your computer. Good luck otter

Hey guys, I was having the same headache when i was setting up my sdk folder too and I found that i had not downloaded Java JDK which the sdk manager needs to run. The instructions like to leave this detail out.

Here is the link Java SE JDK 6u25 Download

you have to click accept license agreement to download it but after that you are looking for the last two on the list just below the agreement. Windows x84 is for 32 bit Windows and Windows x64 is for 64 bit Windows so pick the appropriate one for your OS.

After you download and install the JDK run the SDK manager again and the CMD prompt will flash like it did for you before but a new window for the SDK downlaods will open you can go back to following the directions from there to finish unlocking.

Hope this helps

Edit: once you download Java JDK you should be able to run SDK manager normally and have to run it as the Admin for your computer. Good luck otter

I'll check it out tonight. I might fly to Jersey and give you a hug

I'm glad someone else is having the same problem....well not glad but misery loves company. I've been trying to get this going for 3 days and unfortunately nobody can help and you're the only other person I've heard of that has the same problem and I've been searching the internet. If I find a fix I'll post it here so you get it and I would appreciate if you did that same. Good luck

Sorry I'm unlocked and rooted now running gummynex
Used my girlfriend's mac

The jdk download helped, but now I'm stuck here:

Unzip the file & inside you will see android_winusb.inf. Copy this file to C:\android-sdk-windows\extras\google\usb_driver\ replacing the "stock" android_winusb.inf

I don't have an extras folder. Under android-sdk-windows I have: add ons, platforms, platform-tools, temp and tools.

The jdk download helped, but now I'm stuck here:

Unzip the file & inside you will see android_winusb.inf. Copy this file to C:\android-sdk-windows\extras\google\usb_driver\ replacing the "stock" android_winusb.inf

I don't have an extras folder. Under android-sdk-windows I have: add ons, platforms, platform-tools, temp and tools.

Oh wow. That's not good. Maybe you should delete that folder and try to download and unzip that file again because thats not normal.

Im glad the JDK worked.

Let me know how that works out.

Back
Top Bottom