• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Iphone 4 and Captivate?

fldude99

Android Expert
Oct 10, 2010
NW FL
So I'm having dinner with a friend and we're looking something up on maps on each of our phones..he sees the Captivate and after a few minutes he says why would you have the Captivate...what does it do that my Iphone can't? Other than being able to customize it and the more open file system-which his answer was: "I can just use Itunes to transfer files", I was actually at a loss for words. Anyone chime in with a couple of specifics?

I believe the Captivate doesn't do GPS navigation either.

I believe this because my Captivate, and Google Maps/Navigation, nearly directed me into a water-filled ditch when it lost my location one rainy night, dark and dreary (while I nodded nearly napping) and it thought my destination was down an unmarked side road (yeah, Alabama and your crappy infrastructure) 30 feet ahead on the right. Only problem was, there was no road (I had actually passed it) but there was a nice big ditch.

Upvote 0
To be honest, they're pretty evenly matched. The Captivate does have a problem with GPS, but the iPhone does have a reception problem(even though not as big), and hardware wise, the only difference is that the Captivate is more durable and the iPhone's got the front-camera. In term of Android vs. iOS, the customization thing does go really far in terms of changing things such as the format of your screens, the different ROM's, overclocking the phone, different keyboards (like the magical Swype keyboard), and though the iPHone can be customized via jailbreak to do limitless things, the Captivate goes even beyond that to places Steve Jobs will never let you reach.

This standoff is more of a draw, I'd say, and you really can't compete with him on this matter. Best case scenario, drop both your phones on the ground at the same time and show him the magic your phone can do...

Upvote 0
To be honest, they're pretty evenly matched. The Captivate does have a problem with GPS, but the iPhone does have a reception problem(even though not as big), and hardware wise, the only difference is that the Captivate is more durable and the iPhone's got the front-camera. In term of Android vs. iOS, the customization thing does go really far in terms of changing things such as the format of your screens, the different ROM's, overclocking the phone, different keyboards (like the magical Swype keyboard), and though the iPHone can be customized via jailbreak to do limitless things, the Captivate goes even beyond that to places Steve Jobs will never let you reach.

This standoff is more of a draw, I'd say, and you really can't compete with him on this matter. Best case scenario, drop both your phones on the ground at the same time and show him the magic your phone can do...

Ahh..none of that goes very far to someone who is using an Iphone

Upvote 0
Ahh..none of that goes very far to someone who is using an Iphone
And that's his preference. I think the "my phone can beat up your phone" stuff is a little overdone. You prefer the Captivate due to the openness and the customization. He doesn't put any weight on those because he's an iPhone user, and that's why he made his decision.

That said, if you're on 2.2, Kongregate's a good example of Flash content, and Swype is definitely a game-changer. Also, Android widgets are a pretty big deal.

EDIT: Though it's definitely pretty silly to ask what your phone can do that his can't, then just say "whatever" to your answers.

EDIT 2: Also, sideloading (though difficult on the Captivate) is possible, in case you want to install non-market apps.

Upvote 0
And that's his preference. I think the "my phone can beat up your phone" stuff is a little overdone. You prefer the Captivate due to the openness and the customization. He doesn't put any weight on those because he's an iPhone user, and that's why he made his decision.

That said, if you're on 2.2, Kongregate's a good example of Flash content, and Swype is definitely a game-changer. Also, Android widgets are a pretty big deal.

EDIT: Though it's definitely pretty silly to ask what your phone can do that his can't, then just say "whatever" to your answers.

EDIT 2: Also, sideloading (though difficult on the Captivate) is possible, in case you want to install non-market apps.

+1. That's what it comes down to doesn't it.

Upvote 0
Iphone 4 does not do turn by turn navigation unless you pay (btw, FROYO had fixed my GPS problems... I don't need to turn on "wireless networks" anymore and navigation works perfectly. I even put my phone in airplane mode and i can see my nice crisp triangle moving along my route on google map, no giant circles! My garmin has been sitting in a dark corner in the trunk for a long time now!).

Iphone 4 also doesn't have google voice integrated so that when you need to make an international call (or any call), you can automatically set google voice take over and not have to worry about calling cards

Like everyone said, SWYPE rocks! don't know how people type on these darn touch screens without SWYPE. I can SWYPE with my right thumb super fast (well until FROYO came and SWYPE went nuts...see my thread http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/298570-hows-your-swype-after-froyo.html )

Iphone 4 does not support adobe flash! Granted I hardly ever go to sites that need flash, but it's good to have!

also the captivate (or any android) works as removable drive, so easy to transfer files to/from computer, all you need is a mini usb cable. Iphone needs I-tunes installed (hate installing extra software unless I have to)

Once android get netflix and SKYPE working perfectly, there really is no need for a computer anymore! Right now I'm waiting for netflix so I can buy a tablet (waiting for the galaxy tab 10.1)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones