• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone user considering Android...

jhclare

Lurker
Dec 10, 2012
Hi all,

This is my first post here.

I wonder if someone can help me.

Basically, I've been an Apple user for a few years (I own a MacBook Pro and iPhone 4).

I use my phone for business and until recently (basically the iOS 6 update) loved everything about the phone and its integration with everything else Apple.

I use iCloud (formally MobileMe) to keep my contacts, calendars, bookmarks, etc in sync seamlessly on my phone and laptop, and I use the Remote app to access my iTunes library when sat on the sofa!

I love visual voicemail!

I was expecting a lot more from the iPhone 5. It seems like they've made a few tweaks and it's really a iPhone 4s mark II, not a whole new version of the phone.

Then there's the Maps fiasco (it's the app I use most), and the fact that the interface hasn't really changed/improved at all since the original iPhone, and I still get the proximity sensor issue...

So... I'm considering switching to something else.

1) Would switching to Android allow me to continue to enjoy the same functionality? Either integrating/syncing with my existing Apple (iTunes, iCloud) system, or migrating to something else entirely.

2) Will I be able to download an equivalent Remote app to control iTunes? Or will I have to change music players? I still want to use Airplay via Airport Express.

3) I don't use social media or Facebook much, so these features aren't a high priority

4) I really want visual voicemail

5) Google maps is a must!

6) As is IMAP email

7) Hardly use it for music or games, but would like a better browsing experience than iOS currently offers

And then, if I do decide to switch, which handset?

Battery life, call quality/reliability and ergonomics are also a factor. I find the iPhone quite bulky.

I've been quite happy with O2 since the launch of the original iPhone (they were the only network that supported Visual Voicemail, not sure if this is still the case).

I live and work in London and occasionally visit mum in Suffolk where the signal is ropey but then it is on most networks I've found.

I'm considering the Nexus 4 or Galaxy S3... Any advice would be much appreciated!

Regards,

John

First off welcome to the forums :D:D

1.) Through the use of iSyncr you can flawlessly sync your iTunes music to your Android device over Wifi or USB connection.

2.) I use an app called Unified Remote and it controls music on my computer over Wifi pretty nicely and i am sure it could work for you too :)

3.) Well you can use them if you please, download them if you want, there are Widgets that basically are live feeds that you can place on your homescreen or any screen to show you quick updates

4.) I know AT&T offers this feature so you can go with them if you want it. Otherwise i know Verizon does with this app: Visual Voice Mail, about the only good app Verizon has. Otherwise Google Voice has a pretty good voicemail system you could look into

5.) Definitely integrates great into Android

6.) The default email app lets you set up IMAP or POP accounts

7.) I know there a numerous apps for Browsers that create a great experience like Dolphin HD

There are a lot of good smartphones out there right now. Most notably the Nexus 4 (Only on GSM Carriers, AT&T, T-Mobile), Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S3, Droid DNA, etc

Plenty of phones you can look up and check out.

Battery life is kind of a concern then you might want to get a device with a removable battery, Samsung has typically always had devices with Removable batteries, while HTC is kind of leaning towards non-removable...

The Nexus 4 and Droid DNA are non-removable, while the Note 2 and SGS3 are both removable!

Hopefully you find some of this information useful :)

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
Thanks guys.

Well, after yesterday's announcement of Google Maps App launching again on the iPhone, I've decided to keep my iPhone 4 for now. Also trying to save money... I've changed my tariff - got a good SIM only deal paying half of what I was previously.

Going to skip the 5 and wait until next year to see what comes out.

I think when you've used a system for so long, it becomes a bit daunting to switch, and I think I'd have trouble getting everything to work the way I wanted it to.

I'm agnostic about Phones and operating systems - it's just great we have so much choice. :)

I do wish Apple would allow you to customise the Home screen though!

Enjoy the weekend,

John

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones