• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is anyone else here?

tumbleweed.gif

It's supposed to deter the Chinese Canadian university fake degree spammers, and the Indian baba ji spammers. But I'm not sure if it works or not

Nope. Spam still gets through. Strange that the site owner doesn't consider this a priority to solve. Must be the number one thing that pisses off forum members. Well that, and the intrusive ads, and nagging to download the forum app, placed right in the middle of threads.

Nope. Spam still gets through. Strange that the site owner doesn't consider this a priority to solve.
Spamming lowlifes will always find a way to spam. That's what they do. And it's particularly hard to catch spam written in foreign characters.

I've suggested routing such posts to a hold space, or something, rather than immediately letting them post. I don't remember exactly what the response was, but I still think it's a good idea.
Must be the number one thing that pisses off forum members. Well that, and the intrusive ads
I'm not being a bitch, okay?, but seriously, the site doesn't pay for itself. :thinking:

There are costs associated with running a forum, and the revenue has to come from somewhere. By the way, I never see ads. More in a moment.
and nagging to download the forum app, placed right in the middle of threads.
I never see any of that.

Instead of being plagued by intrusive ads and such, you can help the owner defray the costs of keeping AF running by getting a paid membership. It's inexpensive and has payment options. Not only will you be rid of those pesky ads, but you'll feel all warm and fuzzy inside, too. :D

Edit: I didn't like some of my wording.

Last edited:
never see any of that.

Instead of being plagued by intrusive ads and such, you can help the owner defray the costs of keeping AF running by getting a paid membership. It's inexpensive and has payment options. Not only will you be rid of those pesky ads, but you'll feel all warm and fuzzy inside, too. :D

Moody, I consider myself to be fully paid up here by the contributions I've made by giving my advice for free. I don't have to do that. I do it because I like helping people to solve their problems. And by making these contributions I'm also helping to add value to the site, and attract advertising revenue.
I've also done other duties for the forum, all on a volunteer basis, so I consider all that to be sufficient payment for not seeing ads here.

As for stopping spam here, well there are ways of automating that, and suggestions have been made, but nothing appears to get acknowledged, let alone implemented. :rolleyes:

I've suggested routing such posts to a hold space, or something, rather than immediately letting them post. I don't remember exactly what the response was, but I still think it's a good idea.

I know some forums use the Akismet plug-in to filter out spam.

Back
Top Bottom