• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it possible to install a different image picker/dialogue box? This is the dialogue box that pops

Gobshyte

Is it possible to install a different image picker/dialogue box?

This is the dialogue box that pops up whenever you need to choose an image (to attach to email, or upload to Facebook)

Probably one of the pop-ups with the 'text buttons' on a white background. I hate 'em too. Hate Flat UI overall. No, you can't replace it. Not even root can 'fix' Material Design's ugly. You can replace your gallery app with one like Gallery ICS and you might get lucky and it uses a Holo-style dialogue, but no promises. Google has ripped all the old UI from later versions of Android so the trick to get back Gingerbread UI by using older apps isn't working anymore. Found out that the Android 2.3 version of K-9 Mail uses Android 12's crappy white dialogue instead of 2.3's. It used 2.3's back in Android 10.

Seems everyone wants to drag us all kicking and screaming into a future where everything looks white, with rounded corners and grey text 'buttons'. I prefer the future we could have had--where our devices connected us to nature with lovely UI design and nature sound effects.

Surely "nature sound effects" is something you can do yourself (at least for ringtones, notifications, alarms - I always turn off system sound effects otherwise, but don't recall any time I'd have called them natural).

(The trouble with the rest is that it's subjective: what you called beautiful I found cluttered, cartoonish and ugly. You genuinely cannot please everyone).

Sure you can't please everyone but that was the beauty of Android. You had choice. HAD. Now that's more difficult. Now it's just skin deep (icon packs, custom launchers) and that's it. Nothing you can do about the rounded corner flat UI crap that's now permanently part of System UI.

Pleasing more people would make more sense than pleasing less. Taking out features like headphone jacks and IR blasters just seems stupid. It wasn't like having a headphone jack kept you from using Bluetooth if you wanted to. Better to have the features and never use them than need a feature and it's not there.

I got a Dell Latitude D6500 as my daily laptop. It has a TON of features (why do you think I bought the thing?) and it runs one of my favorite OSs (Windows 7). But a good 75% of those features (NFC reader, smartcard reader, biometric sensor, PC card slots, IEEE 1394, DisplayPort etc) will likely never get used by me. But they **might**. I'd rather they exist just in case I need them or want to use them one day than never have them to begin with.

Today's tech is just meant to cater to one type of person, instead of a variety of people.

We're at risk of getting off topic here. I still think that taking out headphone jacks is silly (Sony still include them by the way, along with removable storage), but there are so few devices that still use IR blasters that I absolutely understand removing that: I doubt that 1 in 1,000 people used it even 10 years ago when it was a fairly standard feature in phones (the sort of people who come to this forum are not representative).

Back
Top Bottom