• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is rooting my only option?

ihate

Lurker
(I typed this all out, clicked Submit but it didn't post for some reason so I'll try again)

Hi everyone.

My HTC Wildfire S has this problem with the internal memory filling up way to quickly despite the fact I have literally 99% of all my apps moved to the SD card (I did that method that forces them). Now its getting even more annoying because I can't use youtube, the browser, facebook, or my news app (which is on the SD card) without running out of space and everything crashing. I have to go into applications and "Clear Data" so that I can have a few MBs freed up until the cycle continues.

I'm really sick of this and I'm hoping it can be fixed. I've tried deleting my mail and messages...nothing. It seems that despite the fact I have apps clearly saved on my SD card they still take up space on my internal. It says I'm using 150mb out of 150mb even though the internal only has 2 apps (+ whatever the phone originaly has)

Based on what I've read, it seems that rooting is the only option to fix this. So I'm wondering:

1. Is rooting actually the ONLY option?
2. If I root, how can I deal with this problem anyway?

Just wondering since I have S-oN so I have to buy an XTC clip and I'd rather be 100% sure before I spend $50+

THANKS!

Yes, rooting appears to be the only way unfortunately.

With root, you can uninstall some of the apps that came with the phone (although you'll need to be careful which) to free up some extra memory.

You'll also be able to install custom ROMs which can resize internal partitions, giving you more space for apps etc.

I have a similar problem with the Wildfire S and have installed App2SD and a cache clearing app. I now have about 13MB of internal storage available but am still unable to install any apps bigger than about 1MB as I get an "insufficient internal storage" error.

Is there a simple guide on how to root and what can safely be removed??

Sorry for the late reply but thanks for your quick replies. Well it seems getting an XTC and rooting is my only option then, I don't even know how I'd fix that problem AFTER I root but I guess I'll figure it out then or post another question then.

Sorry, luckcactus, it seems you're in the same situation as me and like me you need to get an XTC clip which is around 30 pounds if you have S-ON.

Back
Top Bottom