• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the KitKat upgrade for G2 successful or a disaster?

Is the KitKat upgrade for G2 successful or a disaster?

For some G2 owner's official 4.4.2 Kit Kat upgrade via OTA is a disaster. Knock on screen is dead on my G2 and to open apps in Google Play Store I have to use the zoom. Other owner's got different after Kit Kat trauma on their G2. Factory Data Reset don't solve the issues. So just wait for a kind of fix from LG, otherwise I'm not going for G3. Just waiting for the release at AT&T of Samsung Galaxy S5 32GB internal memory. Android phone users like upgrades at Google Android Platform, but don't want a G2 broke cause of official via OTA upgrading. Others G2 owner's are good with a successful upgrade.

Not sure what all the acronyms mean,
but it sounds like I am just going to stick with my factory specs LG G2.
"If it ain't broke..."

Not sure what all the acronyms mean,
but it sounds like I am just going to stick with my factory specs LG G2.
"If it ain't broke..."

The G2 for VZW hasn't even got the upgrade yet,so,it's impossible to predict the stability of it.

If you're apprehensive about taking the leap when it becomes available,just don't accept it & wait for others to take the plunge & await the public opinion on whether the upgrade is a :thumbup: or :puke:

another perk of rooting....

currently downloading Malladus KK now.... ROMs are always more stable than OTA and the bugs get fixed...... unlike OTA where many bugs never get fixed

and if I dont like it.... its just a short simple flash right back to a JB ROM

same here...non-rootd on at&t...haven't had any problems and only seen slight improvements...now watch my g2 burst in to flames

With my G2 I haven't figured out if it's other software or the Kit Kat update. Right after the OTA update I thought it was great (I got over 55 hours off of one charge during a weekend) but a couple weeks ago I started having issues.

My phone randomly restarts (I think I've isolated that to T-Mobile Visual Voice Mail). I still get the random T-Mobile texts with the math equation thingy (d=15 or whatever that seems to be related to Visual Voice Mail). Haven't had a reset in three days after uninstalling the app updates, turning off wi-fi during initial setup of the app, and reinstalling the updates.

I've also had fast battery drain in the last few weeks. I've deleted Google Keyboard (some people were having trouble with it syncing with Google), the Swiftkey Beta keyboard, and some Amazon apps and my battery life has stabilized in the past three days too.

I'm not sure if T-Mobile Visual Voice Mail, Google Keyboard, Swiftkey Beta (I know it's documented that Swiftkey gives people issues with Kit Kat), Amazon apps, or Kit Kat was the problem but my phone has stabilized after taking action on those items.

I've turned the software updates off. I am happy with the way its been operating since I bought it and the one or two little updates since launch. Dont need to upgrade as I have no issues and dont want to risk any.

Just got my Verizon KitKat update yesterday, did a factory reset, use the Simple Launcher. No root, just basic G2, and all is perfectly sublime.

Only just took the plunge,unrooted unbranded,so far seems a lot smoother,time will tell.
One thing though dont know what the fashion for black and white is all about ,battery looked better as green ,and the stock weather widget is monochrome also seems a step back

Only just took the plunge,unrooted unbranded,so far seems a lot smoother,time will tell.
One thing though dont know what the fashion for black and white is all about ,battery looked better as green ,and the stock weather widget is monochrome also seems a step back
My stock weather widget is in full color on 24A... Weird, sure its not just cloudy there? That is very monochrome in appearance.

The white icons are annoying at first, but not a big deal... I also have a Nexus 4 so dealt with them a long time.

If you really don't like them, you could always try rooting, install Xposed framework, and then G2 Tweakbox or G2 Xposed and change the color.

My VZW G2 updated to 4.4.2 this morning. I wasn't given a choice to stay on Jelly Bean, or I would have. The most I could do was to delay the update by a few hours.

4.4.2 has a relatively poor reputation, as being one of Google's infamous beta-quality releases. There are a lot of bugs in 4.4.2, and Google has released 4.4.3 to fix many of those bugs. I'd sure like to see a 4.4.3 update for my VZW G2, but I'm not holding my breath. In the meantime, I'm sure not installing Skype, which can trigger one of the nastiest of the bugs in 4.4.2: rapid battery drain from the camera module.

ukzen, the thing with white is that KitKat generally has gotten rid of backgrounds for its icons and such. The white symbols and text are thought to be more generally readable on most backgrounds.

My VZW G2 updated to 4.4.2 this morning. I wasn't given a choice to stay on Jelly Bean, or I would have. The most I could do was to delay the update by a few hours.

4.4.2 has a relatively poor reputation, as being one of Google's infamous beta-quality releases. There are a lot of bugs in 4.4.2, and Google has released 4.4.3 to fix many of those bugs. I'd sure like to see a 4.4.3 update for my VZW G2, but I'm not holding my breath. In the meantime, I'm sure not installing Skype, which can trigger one of the nastiest of the bugs in 4.4.2: rapid battery drain from the camera module.

ukzen, the thing with white is that KitKat generally has gotten rid of backgrounds for its icons and such. The white symbols and text are thought to be more generally readable on most backgrounds.
I would have to disagree with you on almost every point you made here... As a long time Android user (since Eclair, maybe earlier, hard to remember), I find 4.4.2 of Android to be one of the most stable and usable versions of Android yet, most of the issues are app specific (like the Skype issue you mentioned, which is an APP issue, not a Android issue) and not truly an OS issue. And BTW, I use Skype on a few different KitKat 4.4.2 devices and have never seen this issue. To be honest, JellyBean was one of the more bug-ridden Android versions I have used across multiple devices, although the implementation of it in the G2 is excellent, the KitKat implementation is just as good in my opinion and cleared up the handful of issues I had on JB, such as garbled audio on BT headset (Plantronics Voyager Legend).

I am not saying KitKat 4.4.2 is bug-free, no operating system is, but the ones the majority of people see are minor. Now, in implementations with custom ROMs, particularly like may G2 and other device ROMs were with a hacked 4.2.2 kernel running KitKat system, there were definite issues that gave KK a bad rap.

4.4.3 is mostly bug fixes for the Nexus 5 specifically (read the release notes) although there are some minor fixes in general and we may or may not see it across other devices since in reality 4.5 (or whatever they want to call it) is only months away.

I am not trying to be argumentative, but users should not just take what you are saying at face value, there are a wide variety of experiences with any mobile operating system and device. This is my 2 cents worth.

Updated my VZW G2 to KitKat last week. After initial high battery usage, and subsequently fixed by a factory data reset (I should have done that before the update), everything is great. I haven't experienced a problem of any sort. So... I have to say the update was successful for me.

Its been 4 days sinces I upgraded and no issues here. It came through ota verizon and the knock on feature works wonders, better than before

In general, success (I guess). That is not to say I am loving my phone more now, than before. Nope.

On my VZW model, I'm just disappointed the Voice Dialer which I use via BT in my car no longer understands "DIAL xxx xxx xxxx" syntax, and in general, just does a lousy job of voice recognition when I use the "CALL contact-name" syntax. It was working perfectly in JellyBean. This is a major minus in my opinion.

The transparent Status/Notification Bar is growing more on me, but the white icons... ahh, someone made a choice that's not my personal preference. Oh well.

After a few charge cycles, the phone's predicted remaining charge is a bit better. Am I consuming more battery post-update? I don't know. I hope not.

A lot of those changes like the notification can be changed with a rooted phone. The dialer works fine for me. Did you do a factory reset when you downloaded the kitkat?

Thanks, No... I didn't do an FDR... Everything else working as it should.

Does your's understand "DIAL xxx xxx xxxx" syntax? Dollars to donuts it doesn't work for you. If it does, and you are on VZW, I'd be very surprised.

As for it's accuracy, yes it's possible some training parameters do need to be reset, and an FDR would help. I wish I could selectively find the data / cache associated with the Dialer to try that.

Back
Top Bottom